pellet stove choice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

baha4

May 29, 2008
NY
Hi. We are buying a pellet stove as soon as we can decide which one suits our needs. I am worried about the fan noise. It will be very close to the living area and dining area. We will have an area of about 1200 square feet to heat and not alot of room to put this stove. We have looked at the Harman stoves and the Magnum t40 (I think the older model) I want attractive looks although that is not important to my husband. I dont want to spend more than $2500 for the stove either. He wants quality since we are nervous about the maintainance of it. Any suggestions? thanks

baha4 said:
Hi. We are buying a pellet stove as soon as we can decide which one suits our needs. I am worried about the fan noise. It will be very close to the living area and dining area. We will have an area of about 1200 square feet to heat and not alot of room to put this stove. We have looked at the Harman stoves and the Magnum t40 (I think the older model) I want attractive looks although that is not important to my husband. I dont want to spend more than $2500 for the stove either. He wants quality since we are nervous about the maintainance of it. Any suggestions? thanks

$2500 is gonna be close no matter which stove you go with, don't forget vent pipe and installation costs plus a hearth pad. If you are handy you can do the install yourself, it's really not that hard. I suggest you go to a stove dealer and see them run, while you are at it you can ask them to show you what maintenance needs to be done and how easy it is on the different models. Choose a stove from a maker that has been in bussiness a long time, is fairly quiet, easy to maintain and service, easy to get parts and service for, and also looks good. Nothing beats seeing them run in person to help make a decision regarding noise. Hope this helps.

All pellet stoves make noise, require upkeep, will need to have parts replaced down the road. Some make more noise than others. Pellet pipe on its own is an expensive pipe. Its not uncommon to pay between $300-$500 for just the pipe, then the cost of someone to install it for you. With all that said try to find an affordable stove that has a good warranty, but dont be surprised if you go beyond your $2500 budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.