pellet stove cleaning...........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
...........hey, even the Harmans have to be cleaned at some point.
Harman`s might be able to go all season long without cleaning except for an occasional pot scrape and ash pan emptying but the fact is the more ash buildup there is the more it insulates the heat output of the fire that the exchanger and steel mass should be absorbing and blowing into the room. It simply goes up the flue instead. I`ve had to increase the feed rate (fire size) to get the same amount of heat that I normally get from a clean stove.
Regardless here`s a picture of what I do when I clean the heat exchanger and brush down the inside of the stove.
I tape and cut a cross slit in the heavy transparent plastic to insert my hand with the scraping tool , brush, etc. Little if any ash dust comes out.

Of course with the Harmans (maybe others too) the stove exhaust fan will suck out the dust that would normally fall out of the open door. As long as the door is open/removed no pellets will feed.

http://www.pbase.com/image/109875222.jpg

Pretty slick John, thanks for sharing. I'm due to do this tomorrow myself.

BTW, I've found that when I see the ash starting to build up everywhere in the stove (but before the ash pan is full), if I turn the stove down low so it's fairly cool, I can open the door and quickly brush everything (heat exchanger, sides, etc) down with a 4" wide junk paint brush while the stove is running and it does an excellent job of keeping the stove running efficiently until the next major cleaning. My forearm gets dirty doing this since the ash falls down on it, but this works pretty well and only takes about 30 seconds.

Wet1 said:
Pretty slick John, thanks for sharing. I'm due to do this tomorrow myself.

BTW, I've found that when I see the ash starting to build up everywhere in the stove (but before the ash pan is full), if I turn the stove down low so it's fairly cool, I can open the door and quickly brush everything (heat exchanger, sides, etc) down with a 4" wide junk paint brush while the stove is running and it does an excellent job of keeping the stove running efficiently until the next major cleaning. My forearm gets dirty doing this since the ash falls down on it, but this works pretty well and only takes about 30 seconds.

Thanks, I`ll have to give that a try next time too.

...and I thought I was the only one to suffer from dirty forearm syndrome! I do the same thing for those "in between" cleanings.

I never did put the plastic on, but just running the test mode so the blowers came on while I brushed it all down was a HUGE help!
I got the drywall filter for my little shopvac, but I cleaned 95 % of it without all the dust coming into my room by running the blowers while brushing it out. Great idea. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.