Pellet Stove coming working on venting options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

workinprogress

Nov 1, 2014
Vermont
Hello All,

I just made the jump and have a TimberRidge 55TRP-10 pellet stove coming from AMFM Energy. I need to figure out the venting options. The stove is going into a new family room added above the garage. I was going to put the stove on the north end of the room which happens to be above the 16 ft wide garage door and is on the gable end of the house. I have plenty of clearance to meet all the measurement with a typical out and up venting kit. The horizontal end of the vent will be 9-10 ft off the ground. Since the house has very small roof overhang on the gable end (2 inches or less) I could just continue to go straight up so the vent end a couple feet above the roof edge.

So basically do I follow the typical out and up with a horizontal end or continue 3-5 ft up more and end with a vertical above the roof. Recognize the prevailing winds during the winter are from the north.

Any thoughts?

With the wind blowing in the direction of the vent I would vent above the roof if you can. It will help prevent back drafting in windy conditions.

Well that is why we have this forum,to agree to dis agree.Any outside the house vent will cause more buildup.Up ond ot is much cleaner.Being more aboue the roofline is not revelant.You should contact an nfi consultant before you make any deicesions

Well that is why we have this forum,to agree to dis agree.Any outside the house vent will cause more buildup.Up ond ot is much cleaner.Being more aboue the roofline is not revelant.You should contact an nfi consultant before you make any deicesions

Good point on the up and out. But wouldn't the termination above the roof help prevent wind from blowing into the vent?

The house has a steep pitch roof (12/12) and the pellet stove would be on the lower end of the roof. I am a little reluctant to go through the roof for a number of reasons.

The house has a steep pitch roof (12/12) and the pellet stove would be on the lower end of the roof. I am a little reluctant to go through the roof for a number of reasons.
You may not need to go thru the roof. Let's see what Bob bare comes back with as well as others. There are some pretty sharp folks here that can sort something out for ya. A picture of where the vent is gonna be will help a lot.

How about straight out with no vertical component. Mine is like that

63945dff5c40aff50b7d255e168a05c7.jpg

Here is a quick picture. The red arrow shows the corner the stove is going in. The yellow line represents the floor of the room. The distance from the edge of the window to the corner of the house is over 9-10ft. The floor is 24 inches below the window. Basically the green box represents roughly where the vent could come out.

Attachments

• IMG01e.jpg
    IMG01e.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
You can vent straight out with no vertical rise.

My Timber Ridge requires a minimum vertical rise (I think 3' if I remember correctly). I'm not sure if your model is different, double check the manual. I'd just do as you planned and add on a little bit above the roofline.

Sorry,been away shooting speedgoats on the prairie.So some simple things,a straight through the wall is what would be called a"dirty install" quick,easy,safe.A out and up(even if 3 foot) is better) your house will accept that.An up and out in stall improves draft,keeps pipes cleaner.Just my thoughts,I only am trying to help.Your pictures show you can do anything,you are fortunate.Bob

So going up inside the house from stove with elbow and then out to a elbow with termination cap is better then
Out from stove then elbow then straight up to termination cap?

If out and up, might want to consider a clean-out instead of an elbow... might make future cleaning a little easier.

Reactions: dw06
So going up inside the house from stove with elbow and then out to a elbow with termination cap is better then
Out from stove then elbow then straight up to termination cap?
The more pipe outside the dirtyier the pipe because it is cooling off faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.