Pellet Stove Door Glass Air Wash System Testing using Nicole Heat Tool blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

In my earlier post I did get an answer from Travis Industries on how the Door Glass Air Wash System works in the Avalon and Lopi Pellet Stoves.

See previous link
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/64000/

That is great in theory.

I just borrowed my daughter's Nicole Heat Tool blower and ran my own test. (I do not have my own testing blower LOL)

I feel very little or NO warm air next to the glass!!!

See pic below.

Should I feel a good stream? Has anyone else done testing like this??

Can it be shimmed like the Brekwell P23fs?? I do not see any screws or bolts to remove the air wash brackets??
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/64732/

Attachments

• DoorGlassAirWashTestingSC.jpg
    DoorGlassAirWashTestingSC.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 588
Airwash's have to be just enough to help(see note!) keep the class clean. But not be a big enough leak to effect the stoves performance. A tricky balancing act! Too big a leak is like having a bad door gasket. Another think is when you run the stove in the low heat settings you loose the draw and there not going to work as well.

Note: thats about all they do is help-most dont do much more than giving you some small area in the glass to view the burnpot.

Most airwashes work by not having a section of glass gasket in place. They restrick the incoming air with a blocking plate(not sure if thats the correct term). Spacing or shiming this plate allows a bit more air into the stove sweeping over the glass. I don't know the stove you have, But if you remove the retaining plates is there a section of glass with no gasket?

Hi J

Most airwashes work by not having a section of glass gasket in place

Thanks for the info, I did not know that!! I will check for the gap very carefully when it is down for the next cleaning and let you know.

It does not need the 3 day cleaning Yet as in pic below!

Attachments

• Needs3DayCleaning!12102010SC.jpg
    Needs3DayCleaning!12102010SC.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 496
Status
Not open for further replies.