pellet stove efficiency

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maineiac

Nov 10, 2006
Scarborough, ME
Anyone know what the true efficiency of a pellet stove in general is or more specifically the Harman xxv?

With fuel oil at $1.95 per gallon (furnace at 83% efficiency), I am trying to figure if its worth it to burn my $279 a ton pellets. I figured using the efficiency of 83 % I should wait until oil hits $2.20 at the very least using the calculator at
http://www.pelletheat.org/3/residential/compareFuel.cfm.

I went a little crazy after buying a new stove in October and bought 4 tons.

I did the same thing.
Im on propane so its a little more $ for me.
Use both.
The pellet stove is nice. Enjoy it for the mood it sets. The heat is nice too!
I also have an XXV and 4 tons.
Enjoy.

I think you should figure on 75% efficiency.

A rough calculation is the price of pellets should be less than the price of oil with the decimal point moved....

In other words, if oil is 2.00 a gallon, then pellets should be $200 a ton to be a savings.

You already have the pellets, but consider that corn is often vastly cheaper - about 130-150 a ton.

Thanks for the info. I should have figured that making a purchase to save money would actually cost me more. I do like knowing that even if oil spikes to 2.60 or 2.70 I am at least set for this winter.

This could be when we all find out what the profit margin is for the manufacturers of pellets ...........NOT THE DEALERS SO BACK OFF ;)

If oil stays in the $2.00 to $2.50 range for an extended period it makes no sense to burn pellets other than the ecological issues that are certainly warranted.

babalu87 said:
This could be when we all find out what the profit margin is for the manufacturers of pellets ...........NOT THE DEALERS SO BACK OFF ;)

If oil stays in the $2.00 to $2.50 range for an extended period it makes no sense to burn pellets other than the ecological issues that are certainly warranted.
My cost of the pellets have only gone up $10 in the past 2 years but the price of the shipping/trucking has doubled.
So it is not always the Manufacture that is killing us on the price but the cost to get it to us/you.

Doubled shipping costs ????

UPS prices have gone up but nowhere near double and neither has All Broken Freights charges.

babalu87 said:
Doubled shipping costs ????

UPS prices have gone up but nowhere near double and neither has All Broken Freights charges.

Ok so not quite doubled but close
from $67.00 per ton to $108.00 per ton shipping cost.

One brand we sell, Allegheny, costs us $55.00/ton to ship up here to MA from PA. Thats fifty five dollars per ton. Which leads me to how much per ton the dealers should make. I prefer to not markup by a set percentage, because when the pellets are at their most expensive, it overinflates the price. I prefer to mark a ton up by a set amount, irregardless of how much the ton costs. The question is, what works for each dealer, tends to be different. The only way to make money selling pellets is to do it by volume, otherwise it likely isnt worth the trouble selling them. Scrambling to order pellets, having a lift to unload them, a person to inload them, having to deal with damage, etc, all factors into the equation. How about delivery? If you deliver them, thats a substantial investment. We charge for delivery, thereby allowing the customer to decide whether they want to pick them up, or pay to have them delivered...we deliver abt half the pellets we sell. Some folks save money by picking them up...we prefer this to delivery, as delivery has its own inherent nightmares, as you can imagine.
Ive no idea how much the manufacturers actually make though. Its always amazed me that I can order pellets from PA, add on the huge freight factor, and come up with a landed cost of almost the same amount as a "local" pellet, where the freight costs me only abt $18.00/ton.....Im thinking the local guys are making more money, but Ive also no idea how much their overhead is, raw material costs, etc.

Harry, what is the delivery area for the "local" freight?

I would like to get some of those Bio-bricks but driving out there for a ton isnt worth it for me.
I do have a total of three people looking for a ton but even with renting a UHaul it isnt worth it.

Only 75% efficiency?

I thought my accentra stove was something like 85% efficient!

Btw, why is the efficiency so low?
As far I can tell from my stove, it burns the pellets fully, very little ash is left and all that heat is trasnfered into the room?
Or is it because of the heat that is lost thru the flue pipe?
Wouldnt increasing the fan blower speed resolve that issue?

I am surprised that pellets are actually more expensive than buring oil. :(
I also bought a pellet stove to save money, but as someone else said, I actually paid more to save money. :)

Although I heated with electricity so I think pellets are still cheaper according to the calculators.

Its a shame that pellets are second more expensive fuel source. :(

pellet stoves, and woodstoves too for that matter that are epa certified fall into 2 categories first, an "actual epa rating, this is tested at the time that the unit goes through its testing for certification , the type of stove it falls under (category ie; catalytic, non catalytic reburn , pellet etc.) is allowed to accept a "true" epa rating , or default. default for pellet stoves which are epa certified is 78% they must meet this minimum in order to meet phase 2 epa ratings. the other is epa exempt , which means they must meet 35 to 1 fuel air ratio standards. most stove manufacturers will accept default at 78% as it is less expensive to maintain , however, some do maintain an actual rating which they must periodically submit units to reevaluate to ensure that they are maintaining that rating, an expensive procedure. hope this helps.

mike esw

Most pellet stoves are EPA exempt and NOT EPA tested.
Im not sure of any in production( there might be some) that Pay for the testing they do not need because a pellet stove is over 35-1 aire to fuel.
and EPA reconizes Pellet stoves as High Effeceint and LOW emetions with out the EPA lab test.

HarryBack said:
what does it cost me to get the "local" to me?

That and what is considered local?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.