Pellet stove "ember protection" for floor.. whats the point??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mr4btTahoe

Burning Hunk
Jan 13, 2015
Indiana
Hey alls..

So I'm going to be picking up a mini pellet stove for my house to supplement my wood stove during the shoulder seasons or sub zero cold spells when the stove struggles. Going to pick it up tomorrow along with everything to install.

Looking through the manual tonight just to get an idea on requirements and it specs that the stove needs type 1 ember protection under it when on a combustible floor.

Just out of curiosity... why?

I get it with a wood stove... loading and unloading.. easy to knock a coal or two out of the stove... but there is none of that with a pellet stove. Only thing I can think of is while cleaning and I for one would never clean the stove when it's been in use/warm.

Is it just for clean out?

Has anyone skipped this? I mean... it only requires something extending past the stove 6" on the front and sides... 1" on the rear. Doesn't seem like it'll protect much of anything so I'm really curious what the point is.

I'm all for safety and doing things per manufacturer recommendations... but this just seems goofy unless I'm overlooking something. The floor in the area the stove will be in is 3/4" decking with 1/4" insulation and locking laminate "hardwood". It takes a fairly substantial amount of heat and time to burn this laminate floor... I've tossed small scraps on the burn pile out back when we laid the flooring in the first place... but technically, it's combustible.

Before not doing it, I would check with your house ins. company. They don't need much of an excuse not to pay a claim. kap

Reactions: FirepotPete
You can actually open the door to a pellet stove while it is running for a brief period. Many do this to scrape clinker ash from the burn pot etc., so they do not have to wait for the shut down sequence, then start up sequence.
Beside that, the little pegs the stove sets on would not be good for the house flooring.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Just out of curiosity... why?

If you ever open up your stove on a low burn to clean it, fly ash can escape the stove onto the floor. Fly ash is hot enough to start a fire so having that extra distance is helpful.

Is it just for clean out?

No, sometimes a manual start is required which may require you to open the door from which hot ash may escape. The ember protection also sets up the hearth perimeter for the other tools such as the scrapper that will come in contact with the stove. It's kinda like a combustion zone buffer area.

Has anyone skipped this?

I haven't, and it would be unwise to do so.

I'm all for safety and doing things per manufacturer recommendations... but this just seems goofy unless I'm overlooking something.
Good to question, but it's better to be safe than sorry. You don't want a near miss to become something serious. As the other poster stated already, your insurance company will appreciate the extra precaution.

Your insurance will not cover you if the stove is not installed to manufacturer spec's including floor protection.

Like everyone else said, "do it".

Also if you have the room increase the minimum clearances from the walls and get a bigger hearth pad than called for. Future maintenance and cleaning is always easier with more room and the larger hearth pad will give your floor more protection from ash and tools.

I had the extra room and built my tile hearth pad big enough that it covers the area when the stove door is opened. At the time I didn't know it but the next year I started running the stove clinker style and remove the clinker manually daily and that extra in front of the stove is a blessing.

Reactions: Connecticut Yankee