Pellet stove exhaust pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coronacross

Nov 18, 2013
Ohio (BUCKEYE COUNTRY )
Ok so I got my p-stove, I have to run the pipe through the fireplace , it will not only look better, but I cannot altar home (historical scocitey) however I've herd from 10 different people 20 diff ways to do it . Some say I can't go over 20ft of pipe others say run 3ft, others say I must go the full 30ft to the top , and yet also to save money I e herd to go 3-5ft with the good triple wall then go with stainless flex to the top??? Omg maybe I should have went with wood stove?? Can someone who really knows , please tell me how to do this in somewhat of a cheap yet safe way!!

So you got a pellet insert? Using the same Chimney that used to vent the fireplace? is that correct?[/qu I bought a freestanding stove, the fire place is huge (200 ur old house) it will sit on the brick hearth and look great , but yes I want to run pipe through the chimmeney. It's a straight up brick 30ft from floor to top with a cover 9in over the top.

With a pellet stove whatever you use has to go to the top. I run a pellet puppy in the basement into the 34 foot liner I used for a wood stove.

Reason being pellet stoves are positive pressure exhaust and you need it vented to the outdoors with no way for the exhaust to get into the living space. Four inch flex liner is available that will handle it.

Reason being pellet stoves are positive pressure exhaust and you need it vented to the outdoors with no way for the exhaust to get into the living space. Four inch flex liner is available that will handle it.
Ok but after I Install the t-clean out pipe don't I have to run so many feet of the expensive 3in triple wall stuff then add flex or no??

Did you have your chimney liner checked? If its good to go, you might just need to add stainless flex pipe after cleanout... your venting distances might require 4" pipe/liner if you have to go all the way to the top.

You can put the tee on and attach the liner to the tee. The guys here would have to suggest the appropriate tee for that. Or you could just run the liner from the stove adapter to the sky but you would have to disconnect the liner from the stove to clean it.

Do yourself a favor and go to the top with 4". I know it's expensive but it should be done right. I just replaced a 3" liner that went up about 18 feet in a 21 foot chimney, the amount of ash and soot on the block off plate was incredible! This time I ran a 4" exhaust and a 3" aluminum flex for fresh air all the way up. I have about $900 in liners and cap and am sleeping well now that I know it is done right!

Ok guys I'm getting it. And the chimmeney liner was checked b4 I moved in (no body lived here for years) the company said they all needed replaced in all 4 . That's why I went with pellet stove and thought by running pipe it wouldn't matter? Is this correct or am I making a fatal flaw

Straight out of the Harman P43 manual re Pellet Chimney installs...

*The chimney should be inspected and cleaned before installing your stove. If you discover that the chimney does not have a clay tile liner or has cracks or flaking of the tile liner you will need to install a stainless steel liner within the chimney. In most cases the inside diameter of this liner should be 4". Either flexible or rigid liner may be used for this purpose.

The chimney should be sealed at the damper using a steel plate. Kaowool, mineral wool or an equivalent non- combustible insulation is recommended to be installed on top of the sealing plate to reduce the possibility of condensation. The connector pipe should extend through the smoke chamber to the base or into the first flue tile. Seal pipe joints with silicone or aluminum tape in addition to the sealing system used by the manufacturer.

Be sure to design the venting so that it can be easily cleaned.

Do yourself a favor and go to the top with 4". I know it's expensive but it should be done right. I just replaced a 3" liner that went up about 18 feet in a 21 foot chimney, the amount of ash and soot on the block off plate was incredible! This time I ran a 4" exhaust and a 3" aluminum flex for fresh air all the way up. I have about $900 in liners and cap and am sleeping well now that I know it is done right!

This guy has it right. Prob (maybe) do it yourself a bit cheaper? If you want to use different locations instead of the fireplace, you might be able to do a cheaper install... but a freestanding stove in an old fire place sounds worth the trouble!

The chimmeney I'm using is straight from top to bottom (30ft) and is clean. As in free of objects
This guy has it right. Prob (maybe) do it yourself a bit cheaper? If you want to use different locations instead of the fireplace, you might be able to do a cheaper install... but a freestanding stove in an old fire place sounds worth the trouble!
ok sounds great. I e tried to send a pic but it's not showing up? Anyway I will be on here 2morrow b4 330pm when my buckeyes play, and let u know how it goes !! And thank u guys so very much. And thank u for this site!! Wish me luck

Attachments

• Pellet stove exhaust pipe
    image.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 237
Reactions: Rastallama
Status
Not open for further replies.