pellet stove exhaust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
can i direct the exhaust of my stove to crawl space beneath the house,the space is 4'in heighth and the house is 3500 sq.feet,the house has vents around the perimeter every 12' with block walls around the perimeter.the stove is a englander 25-pdve.........thanks trepooches

You might have better luck posting this in the pellet forum . . . but at first blush . . . I would be guessing (and it is just a guess) I would say no since most pelletstoves want the exhaust fabbed so there is some type of natural draft in the event of a power outage. Usually this is a 3-4 vertical run in the house or outside . . . I think going down instead of up would be verboten.

Heck, if you live alone and have no heirs, just skip the vent. Same thing right. Who needs an exhaust? That warm CO and crud will never invade the house, right? :wow:

In case this is not totally clear, the answer is absolutely not. You wouldn't hook up a car's exhaust to vent under the house either. Vent it out and up or just straight up, but not down and certainly not under the house. The exhaust is hot, can spray sparks when an auger-full of pellets is dropped and it's not breathable. There is a high percentage of CO, and CO2 in it. Plus it would stink you out of house and home.

trepooches said:
can i direct the exhaust of my stove to crawl space beneath the house,the space is 4'in heighth and the house is 3500 sq.feet,the house has vents around the perimeter every 12' with block walls around the perimeter.the stove is a englander 25-pdve.........thanks trepooches

First off welcome to the forums and now to answer your question.

Don't do it, it is against code and likely to be deadly.

You'd have a better chance surviving running across an open field dressed as a deer in hunting season with a pile of drunk barely awake pretend hunters on all sides of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.