Pellet Stove Finally Installed Today (Pictures Attached)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teddy1971

Jul 10, 2008
Orange County NY
I appreciate all the help that everyone has given me regarding the selection, placement and installation of my stove. The dealer was very professional and did a great job with the installation and explaining the stove to me. They did the first burn and it was Hott!!!. I've attached a few pictures of my setup. Thanks again you guy/gals are the best.

Attachments

• Stove 50 Pecent.jpg
    Stove 50 Pecent.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,617
  • Pellets 50 Percent.jpg
    Pellets 50 Percent.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,544
  • Pipe Out 50 Percent.jpg
    Pipe Out 50 Percent.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,561
  • Pipe 50 Percent.jpg
    Pipe 50 Percent.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,536
excellent!! Nice stove. Mine is the Castille....looks alot alike. With all due respect though....I'm not a fan of coming straight out with the pipe....I came out and went up about 8'

Nice stove!

Very nice. Thanks for posting photos of the finished product! I agree with MainePellethead that on a ground-floor install a short vertical rise - 3', 8' whatever is worth the extra cost of pipe if/when there is ever a power outage. Who was the Dealer who installed if you don't mind me asking?

Saf-T First said:
Very nice. Thanks for posting photos of the finished product! I agree with MainePellethead that on a ground-floor install a short vertical rise - 3', 8' whatever is worth the extra cost of pipe if/when there is ever a power outage. Who was the Dealer who installed if you don't mind me asking?

They gave me the option of installing the pipe going up 3' but I didn't like the way it looked (Plus it took $230 off the installation fee). The dealer was Luhrs Ace Hardware in Milford, PA. They were the best in regards to pricing and service. And the stove arrived earlier then expected (ordered on July 6th and arrived at dealer on Aug 15).

looks good. That is exactly the way my pipes are installed. Can you guys tell me / us why the straight out the wall install is not good? Is there an advantage of having a 3 foot or whatever vertical pipe outside?

if your stove shuts off unexspectedly the hot air wants to travel up not horizontally,there for the smoke doesn't come in your home,creates a natural draft

pt0872 said:
Very nice set up....

Is that a battery backup in the pic?

Where and how much did that cost ya?

Need to get one myself.

Thanks

Yes, it is a Battery Backup/UPS. It is a CyberPower 850AVR UPS (CP850AVRLCD). I purchased this unit from Amazon from Buy.com for $90.00. I get small power hiccups in my area from time to time that last 1 minutes to 10 minutes. I likes this UPS because it has an LCD screen that shows power consumption. I noticed that the UPS states that the stove will run on battery for 3 minutes when starting up but once it's up and running the UPS jumps to 70 minutes on battery power. I may still get a marine battery or a small portable generator just in case we loose power for an extended period of time. Rather be safe than cold.

hearthtools has some very good pictures showing why not to install straight out. It can do a number on the siding(damage). Also when losing the power etc....smoke will come back into the house. Most(if not all) reccomend a rise of at least 3' .

I would have to agree with the recommendation to add some rise to your vent. You could add a three foot section yourself for for less than fifty bucks. Would hate to see you be sorry later. Pros should know better and insist on it in my opinion. BTW stove and hearth do, look very nice.

I have my stove exhaust setup up just like you do stright out the wall and 18" from the siding with a 90 degree elbow facing down. We had 4 power outages over the last 12 months and when the stove went out very very little smoke was present. I could get a wiff of it but you could not see the smoke. It's perfectly fine to vent that way, "to each theere own". I have 2 other friends that have the same setup and no one has complained about smoke in the house. I remember wood stove and opening the door to fast now thats smoke damage. I also have a generator as backup but i have to go out and start it up. Remember to use a surge protector with any generator or you may have issues with your stoves electronics. The stove and the setup looks nice but i would have put the outside square metal thimble under the siding but hey that's just me.

pellet9999 said:
are most of you spending 4-5k on these setups??? Whoa....

That depends on the cost of the stove mainly......some of the pricier units run around $3500. Add pipe and pellets could get you to $4k or more.

My installer insisted on a 5' lift coming out of the wall(may be code here), if I'm not mistaken you got the stove I wanted but couldn't get.
Enjoy

90durham said:
My installer insisted on a 5' lift coming out of the wall(may be code here), if I'm not mistaken you got the stove I wanted but couldn't get.
Enjoy

They insist because they charge you more money!!! for something you just do not need. Unless your very close to a neighbor (if i were i'd move....

pellet9999 said:
are most of you spending 4-5k on these setups??? Whoa....

$1000 was for the pellets (4 tons) and about $500 was for installation.

500.00 dollars for someone to come in measure proper hieght for hole(s)(5 minutes maybe 10) then cut a 6" hole in the wall (5 minutes), screw it in place (5 minute okay 10) and attach pipe, seal check. I hope this includes the pipe.

I need to do this for a living soon.

woodsman23 said:
500.00 dollars for someone to come in measure proper hieght for hole(s)(5 minutes maybe 10) then cut a 6" hole in the wall (5 minutes), screw it in place (5 minute okay 10) and attach pipe, seal check. I hope this includes the pipe.

Yes, it includes the pipe and the hearth pad as well.

Teddy1971 said:
woodsman23 said:

Yes, it includes the pipe and the hearth pad as well.

Then you got a great price.

There has been stories here awhile back of smoke backing up in the house with a power outage. Just because it doesnt happen with some....does not mean it wont happen. Alot of manufacturers(and some codes) require a vertical rise of a few feet. My installer didnt insist on it....in fact it was me that told him to. lol. I'd rather be safe than smelly (sorry) . Also I have seen many pictures of what it has done to vinyl siding with a straight out horizontal venting. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.