Pellet stove for a MotorHome

halfpipe Posted By halfpipe, Jan 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM

1. halfpipe

halfpipe

Oct 19, 2010
    Loc:
    East Coast Canada
    Happy New Year's
    I've got an old Travco 27' Motorhome that I want to heat with a small pellet stove.
    Have a heilsa heating my small home in Nova Scotia and figure a really small pellet stove would work in a Motorhome Bolted down of course
    crazy idea or possible?

2. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves
    Minister of Fire

Aug 29, 2007
    Loc:
    Ravenna, Ohio 44266
    Seen dv LP units but not a pellet. Guess it would work but not sure if I would try it.

Eric

3. bbfarm

bbfarm
    Minister of Fire

Jan 2, 2012
    Loc:
    wisconsin
    I think you'd be crazy to do it with propane tanks mounted on a motor home!!

4. rwthomas1

rwthomas1

Dec 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Wakefield, RI
    Since boat routinely heat with drip diesel heaters, propane heaters, solid fuel heaters, etc. and they do so with propane on board, I can't see that as being a problem PROVIDED your propane system is in good condition and not leaking. Propane is heavier than air, so it finds the lowest point and pools like water. A problem with a boat since the low point is the bilge, the propane collects there, until it explodes. A motorhome is much less tight, any propane gas should find its way out and dissipate. Commonsense ain't so common anymore, but I don't see how a pellet stove, correctly installed, is going to be a problem. It might be way to much heater and run you out of the coach though.

5. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw
    Minister of Fire

Mar 9, 2009
    Loc:
    North Georgia
    Since pellet stoves in 'mobile homes' have to be earth grounded to the chassis, I'm thinking you'd have to drive a stake into the ground at the campsite if you're running on the genny. Maybe even with 'shore power'. Over the road would be another question all together.

6. halfpipe

halfpipe

Oct 19, 2010
    Loc:
    East Coast Canada
    Still searching for a baby pellet stove
    I'm thinking a 5000btu pellet stove with a water heating component would be just the ticket.
    The combustion air intake would come from inside the Coach, sucking in all that moisture laden air that is produced by the propane kitchen stove which condenses on everything. Leave a little vent open somewhere in the coach and enjoy a natural air exchanger. With the bonus of impurites in the breathing air being sucked into the pellet stove rather than accumulating and posing various risks,
    The water which is heated incidentally by the pellet stove could be circulated in the tank compartments helping to prevent freeze ups there.
    When the Motor Home was moving the stove would have been stopped obviously beforehand and you'd get an automatic leaf-blower effect.

7. hoverfly

hoverfly
    Minister of Fire

Jun 26, 2008
    Loc:
    Southern NH
    You could probably put this a window unit in a motorhome but would require considerable amount of reinforcement. However pellet stoves overall for a motorhome might be a risky bet. You could also try looking into one of these outdoor pellet stoves again it might be a risky bet.