1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pellet stove for a MotorHome

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by halfpipe, Jan 1, 2013.

1. halfpipe

halfpipe Member

Loc:
    East Coast Canada
    Happy New Year's
    I've got an old Travco 27' Motorhome that I want to heat with a small pellet stove.
    Have a heilsa heating my small home in Nova Scotia and figure a really small pellet stove would work in a Motorhome Bolted down of course
    crazy idea or possible?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    Seen dv LP units but not a pellet. Guess it would work but not sure if I would try it.

Eric
  3. bbfarm

bbfarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    wisconsin
    I think you'd be crazy to do it with propane tanks mounted on a motor home!!
  4. rwthomas1

rwthomas1 Member

Loc:
    Wakefield, RI
    Since boat routinely heat with drip diesel heaters, propane heaters, solid fuel heaters, etc. and they do so with propane on board, I can't see that as being a problem PROVIDED your propane system is in good condition and not leaking. Propane is heavier than air, so it finds the lowest point and pools like water. A problem with a boat since the low point is the bilge, the propane collects there, until it explodes. A motorhome is much less tight, any propane gas should find its way out and dissipate. Commonsense ain't so common anymore, but I don't see how a pellet stove, correctly installed, is going to be a problem. It might be way to much heater and run you out of the coach though.
  5. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Georgia
    Since pellet stoves in 'mobile homes' have to be earth grounded to the chassis, I'm thinking you'd have to drive a stake into the ground at the campsite if you're running on the genny. Maybe even with 'shore power'. Over the road would be another question all together.
  6. halfpipe

halfpipe Member

Loc:
    East Coast Canada
    Still searching for a baby pellet stove
    I'm thinking a 5000btu pellet stove with a water heating component would be just the ticket.
    The combustion air intake would come from inside the Coach, sucking in all that moisture laden air that is produced by the propane kitchen stove which condenses on everything. Leave a little vent open somewhere in the coach and enjoy a natural air exchanger. With the bonus of impurites in the breathing air being sucked into the pellet stove rather than accumulating and posing various risks,
    The water which is heated incidentally by the pellet stove could be circulated in the tank compartments helping to prevent freeze ups there.
    When the Motor Home was moving the stove would have been stopped obviously beforehand and you'd get an automatic leaf-blower effect.
  7. hoverfly

hoverfly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern NH
    You could probably put this a window unit in a motorhome but would require considerable amount of reinforcement. However pellet stoves overall for a motorhome might be a risky bet. You could also try looking into one of these outdoor pellet stoves again it might be a risky bet.