1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Pellet Stove for Work Shop

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by AndrewChurchill, May 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewChurchill

AndrewChurchill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Vermont
    I have a 12' x 24' shop that I would like to heat this winter. The shop is insulated with spray foam insulation so it is very tight. I'm looking for a wood pellet stove that has an automatic lighter, direct vent and can be controlled with a thermostat.

The stove doesn't have to be pretty but it must be low maintenance and dependable.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Andy

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. AndrewChurchill

Loc:
    Vermont
  3. nailed_nailer

nailed_nailer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Cape Cod, Ma
    The only problem I would have with a Pellet stove for a shop heater is the possibility of VOC fumes being exposed to an open flame. If your shop is a woodworking shop then other than finishing you should be all set. But if you do any mechanical parts washing or a spray paint booth you might have issues. I know many mechanics in my area heat their shops with a wood stove. And most have overhead gas units. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it. But I would think long and hard about it.

---Nailer---
  4. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    If you buy a stove with a true outside air combustion hookup, you should be able to hook up outside combustion air (tightly sealed, of course) and hopefully avoid any of the potential problems that can come from having an open flame in a work shop.
  5. AndrewChurchill

Loc:
    Vermont
    Corie,

It will primarily be a wood working shop with occasional duties for car and garden tractor maintenance. The type of stove I am looking for would draw its air directly from outside so there shouldn't be an open flame issue unless I were to open the stove accidently while it was lit.
  6. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    biggest issue i would see with a wood shop is potential for sawdust , not the heavy stuff but the lighter dusty stuff to clog the room blower, it would require stepped up cleaning for that item , dad has a woodshop at his house and we put in a woodstove (epa exempt) for that reason and to allow burning scraps for aditional heat, somthing you wouldnt be able to do with a pellet unit. i chose to use a 35-1 exempt unit rather than a cat unit mostly because of the burning scrap thing , small end cuts and such arent the best with a cat unit (which is all we had for epa units at the time) due to their better performance in long burn cycles so we put in an 18-tr unit and its worked great since doing so.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.