pellet stove gases

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy Bauer

Jan 21, 2009
michigan
What gases are expelled from wood pellet stoves. I have been wondering if any body could answer this question? also what does the ash from the stoves consist of, such as chemicals like (sodium,nitrate). I would like to know. Please. Thank you.

I'll just bump this so we can all find out. I bet there are no real studies on this but I would think the wood pellets just put out C02 if there are no binders in them. I always thought that C0 wasn't an issue with burning wood products but hey, I am just guessing!

They are claimed to be much better for the environment. I believe those who say they are.

Hope you get your answer!

Mark :)

I can't give specifics unfortunately. However, my husband and I did enough poking around on the internet to find out that we are supposed to have carbon monoxide detectors since we just installed a pellet stove. We're changing all our smoke detectors over to the Kidde Smoke/CO detectors plus we put in an outlet type CO monitor in the room where the stove is. I hope that helps a little.
- Rosemarie

The main pollutants in wood smoke that cause health concerns are:

Particulate Matter: This is the term for solid or liquid particles found in the air. They can be very small and can travel deep into your lungs, causing respiratory and heart problems.
Carbon Monoxide: This is a colorless, odorless gas that is poisonous at high levels. It can interfere with the delivery of oxygen in the blood to the rest of your body.
Volatile Organic Compounds: These are a wide range of compounds that usually have no color, taste or smell. Some cause direct health effects, while others contribute to smog.
Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons: These compounds are a health concern because of their potential to cause cancer.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/environ/wood-bois-eng.php

I'm not too sure how that compares to oil and gas.

Cheers

Kenny

Ahh, to be fair, and to compare to fossile fuel:

Pollutants that come from the combustion of fossil fuels include sulphur dioxide (SO2), nitrogen oxides (NOx), ground-level ozone, particulate matter (PM), carbon monoxide (CO), carbon dioxide (CO2), volatile organic compounds (VOC) including benzene, some heavy metals and a number of other pollutants. These pollutants are a result of the use of air, which is composed of nitrogen (78%) and oxygen (21%), in the combustion process, as well as the presence of complex hydrocarbons, additives, and impurities such as sulphur within the fuel. Many more pollutants are released when engines are not tuned or working properly.

http://www.ec.gc.ca/cleanair-airpur/Fuels-WS0E66B313-1_En.htm

Cheers

Kenny

I always use a face mask when cleaning out the ash from my stove.

I already did have a C0 detector plugged in my house but I didn't know if it was needed. YOu know, I can't say I always wear a fask mask when I clean out the stove. I try to though. Now I will try harder.

I just assumed that whatever dust/ash I breathed in my lungs would clear out by using the cilia since I am a none smoker. Thanks for the answers, really sheds some light!

I assume I get a face full of whatever is in the stove every time I open it up to scrap it. I'm not going to let that concern me though.

Mark :)

Probably not as harmful as 10 minutes in a traffic jam, but the mask is good idea, and HEPA filter for the vacuum.
Mike -

Good job Kenny and sydney 1963 you both deserve an A. One of the reasons why I asked is that I am very interested in Algae based fuels. I was going to run a suction apparatus from the base of a ash clean out of my pellet stove chimney to an algae bioreactor for CO2. I am always looking for alternative fuels and ways of cleaning exhaust before it enters back into the atmosphere.
The world to day just needs to clean up it act. What I mean is there are better ways to a cleaner environment. With existing technology until a new one is set in place. To my knowledge this planet is getting too small for what we are doing on it. Just to say it does not bother me if some body is smoking out side but when you confine them to one room and you go to enter it you become overwhelmed. But the people inside the room have no idea as to what you are talking about. It is to my believe that the planet is getting too small for what we do on it.
This is the best site for the right answers so far. Thank you and keep up the good work. It is desperately needed our existence depends on it. It was the ruination of many nations and empires such as Easter Island , Sodom and Gomorrah , Egypt , Rome and so on. We must increase our knowledge or suffer the consequences. It is the reason that religion and the Bible were developed. A better life style for were everything else just seemed to fail. Keep records and write them in stone so others maybe able to over come the trials of life's tribulations.

It because of this planet that we are all here today. It is because of algae that the planet is such a beautiful place. There is something or some force that gave us a brain to use. It is up to us to use it properly. I do believe that any other such as a dog , cat or fish is going to help or have the answer. But they may help let us know that something is wrong. Therefore it is our responsibility to grasp life by the horns and direct it for the better.
I have been disabled because of what has been done to our ecosystem. I would like to see things change so others do not have to suffer. Understand if it never happened . I may have been blind to what is gong on with the planet . I have been looking for better ways to keep our joys of life continuing . I like my children to be safe . But I would also like them to enjoy the things that I have enjoyed . But in a safer way .
With that I will end for now . But I will be back. Thank you.

I promise I have read the manual thoroughly. I do try to wear a mask.

I like my pellet stove pellets produce 350,000 btu compared to 70,000 to 90,000 btu for cord wood. Also I dont seem to have as much problem of spiders and termites. Much easier to handle and not as messy as cord wood. On some units you can use peech pits, olive pits, cherry pits, peanut shells, and many more waste products. Just understand the that if you do use some that you mix it with pellets ( cherry pits) are vary hot they could melt the burn pot or warp it. Next year I am going to try switchgrass pellets. I believe they are the best invention since the try pod.

Dr_Drum Sorry if I offended you . But I would not want you to be tested like I tested my self . I don't know if you read some of the thread that I posted on Hearth.com but . Well to my misfortune of what health effects I have to deal with now . I would like if every body just knows of the problems that could arise. I admire your admiration. But don't be discouraged for the ultimate benefits may be the ones life has to offer. It is a beautiful life we live , we just may what to live it easier and better. It is our recklessness or lack of attention to small matters or the things we just don't see or pay attention to that give us such turmoil. I am not a professer nor was I testing anybody I was just looking for some answers. Go safely be strong but take the time to admire the world for what it has to offer.

Adding a bit of science related to the discussion, the ash is generally user friendly to your lawn and garden. I have added a link about ash composition.

Elements in the wood ash are calcium, potassium and magnesium. Sulfur, phosphorus and manganese are present at around 1%. Iron, aluminum, copper, zinc, sodium, silicon, and boron are present in relatively smaller amounts. Oxygen and carbon are also present but are not determined by ICPES. The nitrogen content in wood ash is normally insignificant due to the conversion of most of the wood nitrogen to NH3, NOX and N2 during the combustion of wood. Pine and aspen ash have higher amounts of potassium compared to poplar or oak ash. The other alkali metal, sodium, is generally low in all ash types with the exception of the poplar which had 2.3% Na.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf1993/misra93a.pdf

Roy Bauer said:
Dr_Drum Sorry if I offended you . But I would not want you to be tested like I tested my self . I don't know if you read some of the thread that I posted on Hearth.com but . Well to my misfortune of what health effects I have to deal with now . I would like if every body just knows of the problems that could arise. I admire your admiration. But don't be discouraged for the ultimate benefits may be the ones life has to offer. It is a beautiful life we live , we just may what to live it easier and better. It is our recklessness or lack of attention to small matters or the things we just don't see or pay attention to that give us such turmoil. I am not a professer nor was I testing anybody I was just looking for some answers. Go safely be strong but take the time to admire the world for what it has to offer.

English as a second language and philosophy... all in one post.

---scott

Many people choose pellet stoves because of the automated feed and temperature control compared to a standard log stove for example. One of the other key advantages of pellet stoves compared to a standard log stove is the increase in efficient combustion and the reduction of particle matter and chemically active gases escaping the flue as mentioned above. This is why once a pellet stove is up to temperature very little if any smoke can be seen coming from the chimney.

I recently posted an article on this subject on our Blog at:

http://pelheatblog.com/2009/01/21/pellet-stove-efficiency/

I also agree that a mask should be used for cleaning

Roy Bauer said:
Dr_Drum Sorry if I offended you .
Dude, don't read so much into it. I just thought it was a funny comment to make. You're deep, relax. All is good and I'm not offended in any way. There is some unavoidable risk involved in living. It's good to remind people to be safe, so carry on.
Mike -

Roy Bauer said:
I admire your admiration.
No offense back at ya, but, WTF are you talking about? Please don't try to baffle me with BS or impress me with your knowledge of how the world should be. I've seen a lot of bad things happen myself.

Roy Bauer said:
dr_drum its cool. Ive just had a ruff life thats all.have fun.

I really am sorry to hear that, and I hope things get better for you.
Mike -

Roy Bauer said:
I was going to run a suction apparatus from the base of a ash clean out of my pellet stove chimney to an algae bioreactor for CO2..

Can we hear more about this? What are the inputs (ash and anything else?).. what are the outputs? Is this home-made (and how) or commercial? Pics or links? Have you done or seen something like this before, or is it just at the idea stage?

Sounds too interesting to just mention off handedly..

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.