Pellet stove hearthpad - diy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NixonFamily

Mar 23, 2014
maine
I am planning on installing an Ashley 5660L. Made by US Stove Co.

The manual cites a non combustible hearthpad with the usual clearances (6 inches front and sides and 2 inches rear).

The forums list a lot of info on micore, Durock cement board and R 1 value I believe.

As I can no longer get micore, is roxul acceptable sandwiched in between half inch ply and half inch cement board?

Is this necessary for pellet stove which is not all that hot? Or would two layers of cement board without roxul or ply be acceptable?
I intend ceramic tiling the top.

The stove can be viewed at tractor supply store, it has legs not pedestal. Looks kind of this image but has bay window.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 182
MePellet -- Thanks for your quick response, I am a little confused does thermal resistance speak directly to R values, K values or a combination of both. If my manual does not specifically indicate an R or K value does that mean that plywood with ceramic tile on top will suffice? or ply, cement board and tile would be more appropriate?

I have included some more info below if it helps:
the manual can be found at
http://www.tractorsupply.com/ProdContentPDFs/1051805_Man1.pdf

the specific blurb states -- "When your Pellet Stove Room Heater is being installed on a combustible floor it is mandatory that a 1/2” (13mm) thick noncombustible
hearth pad be installed under the heater. The non-combustible hearth pad must extend at least 6” beyond the fuel loading and ash removal openings and at least the depth of the heater plus 6 inches (152mm) out in front of the heater"

Could you explain more or less what would be an appropriate code approved hearthpad for this type of stove.

Thanks again for you help, and I apologize for my ignorance.

shaun

Status
Not open for further replies.