Pellet stove help 911 for a guy with no 411

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coronacross

Nov 18, 2013
Ohio (BUCKEYE COUNTRY )
Hello all, 1st off thank u for this site!! And all that are here! Me and my girlfriend have just got our thi vs moved Into a 1950sq ft farm house on 2500 acres. Everything is going great BUT we spent alot of funds making it right. Now were on a serious budget till spring/summer. One thing we didn't count on was the heat cost. We have a fullest-oil furnace which heats h20. Omg it to 1125.00 to fill the tanks and we burned through it in 39 days??? The temp was set at 68f. It hasn't been cold so I , then went to weatherproofing all I could. I would like to grab a pellet stove from tsc as our funds are really tight at this point!! I can always upgrade at a layer date. I e been disappointed at the reviews of the king pellet I looked at, can anyone help me?? I just need a year of savings and time to get what we need. Is the king ok even just for o e year?? Please advise

May be better off with a refurb stove with good support from AMFMenergy.

I figured.:)

How about craigslist? Not sure of your budget but you can sometimes run into gems. Found a 4 year old P68 for $1600 on there the other day.

And turn that oil tstat back down to about 60-62 when you go to bed and when not home! A quilt / extra blanket is a lot cheaper than oil. Snuggling up's not bad, either, but try to avoid additional future diapers and tuition payments as a side effect of that.

AMFMenergy! I wish I knew about them before I bought mine locally! I would have saved $600.00! Take out a small HELOC to cover the cost. If you are handy, you can save even more by installing it yourself.

http://www.amfmenergy.com/55trp22--epa-certified-pellet-stove--2255222200.html

This article states that the 25PDV is an extremely reliable stove.
The author (SMWilliamson) is a member here, along with the manufacturer (Stoveguy2esw), who is fantastic for helping all of us on diagnosing and repairing stoves.
http://www.forgreenheat.org/consumer_resources/reliablepellet.html

Bill

P.S. I am jealous of that house and property description! NOT jealous of the oil cost...

Ive got a 5500 I use in my woodshop. Not too bad...but I dont run it 24/7. Look on CL. Quite a few Englanders available in the 400-600 range. Just be sure if you get a used stove to give it a thorough cleaning before brining it inside. Dont forget to figure in the cost of venting....which is sometimes included in used stoves. Lowes and TSC sell kits for around 300. You can order pieces separately, but usually dont save much. But pellet heat will save you a ton (no pun intended) over oil heat. Good luck on your search!

2500 aces! HOLY CRAP!

jealous.

Insulate.
If you have all the property, IMO, grab a wood burner and harvest dead fall. It will be the cheapest thing to do if you can do the work.

Last edited:
2500 aces! HOLY CRAP!

jealous.

Insulate.
If you have all the property, IMO, grad a wood burner and harvest dead fall. It will be the cheapest thing to do if you can do the work.

Maybe the 2500 acres is a typo as well!

Maybe the 2500 acres is a typo as well!

It has to be. Maybe he meant 2500 sq ft? 2500 acres in my part of ohio would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 million. Decent farmland is still going for 6K+ per acre.

To the OP...look on craigslist for a used Englander. Good, reliable, cheap heat. Keep an eye out for a used Harman, but you're much more likely to find a good used Englander.

It has to be. Maybe he meant 2500 sq ft? 2500 acres in my part of ohio would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 million. Decent farmland is still going for 6K+ per acre.

To the OP...look on craigslist for a used Englander. Good, reliable, cheap heat. Keep an eye out for a used Harman, but you're much more likely to find a good used Englander.

Thank u all so much for ur help!! The acre count is correct!! However to b honest, I work hard but with my schooling and service (jar-head) I'm stuck at 55-60k/yr. however "dreams do come true" a wealthy family , loved the work I have done for them , therefore I take care or there horse fas as they live in there nich, and I live in mine!! I'm called a caretaker by some but hate that word lol. I love horses and love farms. And I really love peace and quiet. I spent my funds on a mower a truck and my divorce!! Sorry if I come across as a bumm bit I came home , was divorced, and left with a new life! I had to have a truck, and some things. And now I venture 4ward. I wish u all well and thanks again for the advice all... Best wishes and love through the season!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.