Pellet stove? Help a newbie make a decision.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k2mattin

Nov 20, 2014
Michigan
Hey guys I have stumbled upon this site and figured it was a good place to ask this question. I bought a house that uses propane for heating and cooking. I bought the house last January, and was shocked at the prices I had to pay for propane. I understand it was quite high last year, and unfortunately I waited way to long to look into an alternative heat source for this year.

The 1200 sq ft home has a partially finished basement with a "gas fireplace i guess" . It does not currently have gas running to it, and it sits directly in front of the chimney where it is currently vented through. I really wanted to put something in its place that I could tie into my existing ductwork to get the heat to the upstairs bedrooms easier. I dont really know what my options are, but from what I can tell I need a pellet or wood burning furnace to do this properly. Is there anything I can use to take advantage of the current setup?

I really appreciate any advice or suggestions that I can get. This isnt something that I have to do right away, but would definitely like to.

Attachments

• 20131219_143324.jpg
    20131219_143324.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 118
Welcome to the forum...
From your photo, a pellet insert would be nice in your stonework if you have clearance but... they are space heaters ... not ductable. You could get a pellet boiler to tandem your conventional furnace but they are not pretty so suitable for a utility room. Some of the Piazzettas are free standing units that have ceramic bodies so they look good and can be ducted (multi-fuco). Enviro-Maxx is a ductable freestanding stove that falls somewhere between the boilers and the Piazzettas. Some folks use a standard pellet stove and use the furnace fan to distribute the heat.

Lots of options just have to figure out what works best for you and your budget....

If you are wanting a pellet stove, post again to the pellet mill or see if a moderator will move your thread...
https://www.hearth.com/talk/forums/the-pellet-mill-pellet-and-multifuel-stoves.14/

Status
Not open for further replies.