Pellet Stove Homework, help me out guys

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well now that you've had a good dose of reality delivered to your computer screen welcome to the forums (funny farm) where we are more than willing to discuss (and argue) just about anything even remotely related to producing heat with a pellet burner.

Reactions: jtakeman
I''ve got the Drolet ECO 65 as well. Ducted from the basement. It has a 500 cfm blower. I have connected 1 duct from plenum to my family room above. Register air temps are approx 145 on setting 3 and 155 on setting 4. My particular setup is working great. 70 to 74 on main level. 66 to 70 upstairs and heat pump stays off. Upstairs heat pump has come on occasionally at night during the low teen temps. Approx. 800 square foot of finished basement. 1400 main level and 1400 upstairs. I also have an open foyer which helps move air upstairs and the basement stairs serves as a return.

Running pellet FURNACE here, because I already had oil FURNACE and ductwork installed. If I'd started with an oil BOILER, I would have sistered a pellet BOILER. That being said, if I'd had the option of a free standing unit on the first floor, I woulda gone that route.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences, set-ups, and advice. I have lots to digest.

So after reading all your posts and multiple other threads here, I believe that the Enviro Maxx-M will be my best option for a few reasons.
1) It's a giant stove w/ 130lb. hopper and 60,000 BTU
2) It can be fitted with a duct kit
3) It has a 455 CFM blower (which I will need to get heat from the basement.

I think if I buy one for this season, I will have it installed in the basement, learn how to run/clean it, and enjoy a warm basement for this season (what I'm leaning towards right now)

Thank you DV, there are NO dealers in my area :(

Made appt. today for installer to come look at my House and hopefully give me some ideas for a good install location (basement)

Anyone here use/heard of Victorian Enterprises stove installers? They are out of Epping NH

Epping, NH? Are you in the Berwicks or something? I got my stove from Alternative Heat Source in Naples. So far, they have been fantastic, and the sell Enviro.

Epping, NH? Are you in the Berwicks or something? I got my stove from Alternative Heat Source in Naples. So far, they have been fantastic, and the sell Enviro.

I'm dealing with http://www.nordicstove.com/ in Dover, NH. They do not install stove but they do service them. They use 2 different installers and Victorian is one.

If you have hot water heat, I'm not sure why you're not considering a boiler. This is my first season heating with a Harman PB105, but I've been very happy with it. Maintenance is easy. It has a hopper that holds four bags of pellets, and it delivers heat throughout the house without any compromises. My stove vendor was not able to plumb it in, but it was easy to find a good heating contractor to do the job.

@ Mr._Graybeard, How much work (cleaning/maintance) is involved with your PB? Don't think I looking to replace my furnace, just add another cheaper heat source.

I scrape the burnpot every few days, empty the ash pan maybe every couple weeks. There's also a trap for fines and a small ash trap under the burnpot that I hit every couple of weeks, which is probably a lot more attention than they need.

I see that some people say it does fit, is there anyone hear running the Maxx-M with this kit?

I also think I'll have a OAK installed.

Made appt. today for installer to come look at my House and hopefully give me some ideas for a good install location (basement)

Anyone here use/heard of Victorian Enterprises stove installers? They are out of Epping NH

Friend of mine used them in Kittery for an install in 2010. Owner did the eval and sent some kids for the job. Not the best install work. Rather sloppy actually.

IE: They forgot to bring OAK set up, had to run to HD to get what they needed. I found the outside air tubing to be the wrong size for a Harman and they ripped the tubing at the inlet so it was not drawing all the air from outside: fixed that last year-sort of. They half-arsed the wall thimble to the sheet rock. We finally redid it correctly recently by installing dry wall anchors. Those should have been used from the get go. Also even though they used ICC venting, it leaks and had to seal it with tape.

I'm dealing with http://www.nordicstove.com/ in Dover, NH. They do not install stove but they do service them. They use 2 different installers and Victorian is one.

love the guys at Nordic . i didn't buy my stove there but i bought my GMG pellet grill there .

i bought my stove over at The Fire House Stove Shoppe in Epping also recommend highly :)

@ gbreda, Thank you for the reply, good to know. I had another installer come over and he will be doing the job. He is also letting me get all the supplies myself to save me a little money. We will get the stove in place and he will give me a list of what to get. This will also allow me time to run power from the panel for the stove.

And they sell good pellets too......:) Plus I'm getting a free ton with my purchase.

Hmmm, never tried them for pellets. What do they carry and at what price? Had I gone with Enviro, I most likely would have bought from Nordic

They have Spruce Point, PWI, & LG's

They have Spruce Point, PWI, & LG's

Love the Spruce Pointe, but too much $$ this year. The MWP softies are doing just fine.

How much are they getting for the Spruce?

I believe $300/ton, still cheaper than oil, lol.

I believe $300/ton, still cheaper than oil, lol.

Check Great Works Biofuel in Berwick. Dave had them for around 270 (that was early season though) and will deliver. Great guy and will stand behind his product. Have used him for 4 years now.

Also, Home and Hearth in Hampton has Vermont for 280, slightly better than Spruce and made in Vermont.

Status
Not open for further replies.