Pellet stove in basement and using fan function on furnace to move the air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adk4

May 27, 2008
Adirondacks
We are currently researching pellet stoves to heat our 2700 sq ft ranch. The stove would be in the basement. My question(s) is this....
We now have forced hot air. If we make this a closed system and convert the hot air vent in the room that would have the stove to a cold air return (in order to pull the heat out of the stove room), could we circulate the heat from the stove effectively by having the furnace in 'fan' mode?

The forced air is not a closed system right now. Air is drawn into the furnace via two floor vents and an open cellar door. This is going to have to be the year we close the system as I am told that would make it much more efficient. We are hoping to use the furnace rarely, if at all, this winter, but rather go with the pellet stove.

I hope this makes some sense and appreciate your input and advice.

Thanks, I'll look at Breckwell. We have been looking at the Quad Mt Vernon. We are trying to figure out a way to ciruclate the air upstairs and wondered if using the fan on our forced air furnace would do the trick.

Which area of the ADK's are you from? I'm in the Plattsburgh area and there's a guy in Sciota (Heatwave) that will come to your house for free to discuss any options that may be viable for you.

Can give you his number if you are in the vicinity.

gangsplatt, thanks for the phone number offer. I'd appreciate it. We are in southern Essex county which may turn out to be too far north for Scotia, but it is certainly worth a phone call. Thanks

No, you really cannot get the proper circ by using a furnace fan to circulate heat from your freestanding pellet stove. If you want to tie into your central heat, I suggest a pellet burning furnace or "hybrid" type that has actual ducts to hook up.

There are many reasons why the existing furnace fan will not suffice - first it is too big - and the small amount of heat (relatively) that will get sucked in will be lost just by the usual heat loses in most ductwork. Also, you can have a problem with creating a negative pressure (vacuum) in the room - which could make the Pellet stove back up smoke into the room.

Basically, it simply won't work!

Status
Not open for further replies.