Pellet Stove in Basement of Split Entry??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunno - I just assume have a simple switch that I can turn on and off. I like to keep things simple. Really looking forward to getting the vent installed. The stove has been doing a great job of heating my whole house around 90% of the time so far. Will be interesting to see how much the vent improves it.

I have a basement install with the stairs being at the complete opposite end of my stove and a vent above it. My stove keeps my entire home warm. I turned my heat off at night to test it and the next morning it was 73 degrees upstairs.

I have the same exact set up with a Quadrafire Castille in my den and a St Croix Pepin in my basement...I rarely turn on the den stove and i live in the Catskills of upstate NY. As everyone is saying not sure of 1/2 the costs but it sure will put a dent in your bills, no doubt. And its so much easier and your less dependent on oil delivery's, worse case is you jump in the car and drive to "Acme Stove Store" and buy 20 bags of pellets. With a power back up and or a generator, the possibilities are endless!!!

Good luck and a very warm winter to you!!!

As long as the house allows the gravity hot air convection loop to be setup and maintained it will distribute the heat, it just won't be an even temperature like a balanced central heating system can maintain.

Unfortunately most houses require modification to allow it to happen and that leads to issues with the code folk.

I tried the basement install when I got my first stove in 2005. In 2006 I moved it upstairs. The layout of my house wasn't conducive to having a stove downstairs. Upstairs it works great. I hooked up a thermostat that cycles my furnace blower once an hour for 10 minutes and that helps keep the chill out of the basement. We don't use the basement much in the winter so that works for us.

Thanks for the input - the basement is finished and insulated (except the basement ceiling). The 2,000 SF includes the finished basement. I live in MA.

Hello

I live in Salem NH and heat my Entire 2,000 Sq Ft split-Entry home with a 45k BTU Avalon Astoria in the basement. No insulation in the ceiling but the walls do have insulation. I also cut 2 4x6 registers with one in the living room and the other in the kitchen with 6" ductwork right down to the front of the stove covering half the heat exchanger tubes. Therefore half the heat goes into the basement and the other half goes directly upstairs. The door to the basement is left open for the return air. By doing this I use NO oil for heat not one drop! The house is warm even on the coldest days down to -6 outside!

The Regency GF-55 is a great machine and and there is NO reason why you cannot do the same!
Good Luck and stay warm!

Thanks everyone. The initial responses to my post had me pretty worried but I have had my stove in for a week and my boiler hasn't come on once. I haven't installed the vent with the duct fan yet but I am sure that will only improve on what I already have. Not only have I not been burning any oil, but my house is much warmer than before. Used to keep the thermo on 64 to keep my oil costs down, now the main living area stays around 74. I am sure I am going to burn some oil once the temps get way down, but as long as I am reducing my oil consumption, its worth it. Here's a pic of my install:

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 358
Thanks everyone. The initial responses to my post had me pretty worried but I have had my stove in for a week and my boiler hasn't come on once. I haven't installed the vent with the duct fan yet but I am sure that will only improve on what I already have. Not only have I not been burning any oil, but my house is much warmer than before. Used to keep the thermo on 64 to keep my oil costs down, now the main living area stays around 74. I am sure I am going to burn some oil once the temps get way down, but as long as I am reducing my oil consumption, its worth it. Here's a pic of my install:

Good job.

Prepare for surge protecter onslaught...

Already added the surge protector. Waiting for some parts I ordered online to finish up the venting. Will post pics when its done.

Status
Not open for further replies.