Pellet stove in basement ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Olmec I like the idea of the Drolet. How is the model. Does TSC have a version. I see yours is a Northern Tools company. Chinese one. How does it hold up

Olmec I like the idea of the Drolet. How is the model. Does TSC have a version. I see yours is a Northern Tools company. Chinese one. How does it hold up

I was lucky to find a dealer 20 mins from me. They sell both drolet and osburn. They are made in Canada and very well made from the looks. I haven't fired it up yet, still sitting in the garage. For the money, I don't think there is a better ducted stove out there.

Make sure you search the threads about the drolet Eco-65. There have been some problems with set-up of ducting but they may have worked out the problems by now.

Reactions: bogieb
Listen to Lake Girl - the only stove I have consistently heard bad things about is Drolet. But, maybe things have changed.

Listen to Lake Girl - the only stove I have consistently heard bad things about is Drolet. But, maybe things have changed.

The ONLY stove consistently? That might be an uneducated opinion, and a bit harsh. I've seen a few issues here and there with the old models, but no where near a consistent level. I'm not trying to sound like a fan boy, (I haven't even installed mine and maybe it will be a big pos) but I did watch both stoves in the store, and thought they (drolet and osburn) performed better than the enviro Maxx in the ducting category. I actually went back a few times before I made the decision.

If I'm reading her post correctly, lake girl is refuring to the set up of the ducting kit? Or I could be wrong.

Reactions: olmec
Oopps, I think it was the Enviro Maxx that had the sensor problems on the ducting;em Eco65 seems to have igniter problems ... one reported hopper fire.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/pellet-hopper-fire.137327/

This is a long thread that covers the igniter issues https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/eco-65-1st-impressions.114044/

Search box will help with other entries...

I won't really argue and hijack the thread, but I will say that hopper fires can happen in any stove under the right circumstances. Not to mention, that stove in question was a 2010 model, 2nd revision was in 2012 and in 2015 the 3rd one was released and is completely redesigned. It's almost not even the same stove. One of many features changed/added would be the electronic intake damper that shuts with a power loss if I'm not mistaken.

But yes, the do seem to struggle with the ignitor and like ESW honor full warranty. My stoves run 24/7 so I could care less.

The ONLY stove consistently? That might be an uneducated opinion, and a bit harsh. I've seen a few issues here and there with the old models, but no where near a consistent level. I'm not trying to sound like a fan boy, (I haven't even installed mine and maybe it will be a big pos) but I did watch both stoves in the store, and thought they (drolet and osburn) performed better than the enviro Maxx in the ducting category. I actually went back a few times before I made the decision.

If I'm reading her post correctly, lake girl is refuring to the set up of the ducting kit? Or I could be wrong.

Okay, I worded that badly - about the only things I have seen have been to dump on Drolets - and those were the pellet stoves, not the boilers. I know every stove has it's lemons, but when even the people on CL have to admit the stove they are selling has had issues since day one, that impression sticks.

I hear good things about the cheapie BBS stoves all the time (also hear bad stuff, and experienced bad stuff with one - but it all balances out). I hear good and bad abut Harman's, St. Croix's, etc. I guess I just haven't hit the posts or articles that mention good things about Drolet, so my impression is negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.