Pellet Stove in Basement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seanlabrie

Aug 26, 2008
Southern, NH
Hello everyone,

this is my first post and I'm thinking about buying a pellet stove for my new house. I have a oil furnace in the basement that exhausts into a chimney in the center of the basement and up through the center of the house and out the top over the roof. Is it legal, or even possible to have a pellet stove located in the basement also use that same chimney to vent out through the top of the roof? If not what is the normal size of the venting tube/pipe that needs to be run to the outside of the house?

thanks,

Sean

seanlabrie said:
Hello everyone,

this is my first post and I'm thinking about buying a pellet stove for my new house. I have a oil furnace in the basement that exhausts into a chimney in the center of the basement and up through the center of the house and out the top over the roof. Is it legal, or even possible to have a pellet stove located in the basement also use that same chimney to vent out through the top of the roof? If not what is the normal size of the venting tube/pipe that needs to be run to the outside of the house?
No it's not legal or to code. Depending on how you want to vent the stove the "chimney" for a pellet stove is either 3 or 4" in diameter. The larger size is for longer runs (15'+) or ones with several 45 or 90 elbows in them. I'm a fan of using 4" pellet vent regardless though.

You can vent your pellet stove through the same chimney, just not the same flu. If there is room for another flu in that chimney, then I would vent it through the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.