1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Pellet Stove in Basement?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by seanlabrie, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seanlabrie

seanlabrie New Member

Loc:
    Southern, NH
    Hello everyone,

this is my first post and I'm thinking about buying a pellet stove for my new house. I have a oil furnace in the basement that exhausts into a chimney in the center of the basement and up through the center of the house and out the top over the roof. Is it legal, or even possible to have a pellet stove located in the basement also use that same chimney to vent out through the top of the roof? If not what is the normal size of the venting tube/pipe that needs to be run to the outside of the house?

thanks,

Sean

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DiggerJim

DiggerJim Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northcentral Connecticut
    No it's not legal or to code. Depending on how you want to vent the stove the "chimney" for a pellet stove is either 3 or 4" in diameter. The larger size is for longer runs (15'+) or ones with several 45 or 90 elbows in them. I'm a fan of using 4" pellet vent regardless though.
  3. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Pellet stoves can often vent right through an ooutside wall - so they don't need the full chimney. It is best to go upwards 5 feet or more, though.
  4. twiddler

twiddler New Member

Loc:
    Maine
    You can vent your pellet stove through the same chimney, just not the same flu. If there is room for another flu in that chimney, then I would vent it through the chimney.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.