Pellet stove insert in dining room...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottS5150

Mar 6, 2013
I'm looking in to getting a pellet stove this summer to alleviate some of my oil bill, which who knows how much that will be next winter. My house is a 3 bedroom, 1200 sq ft ranch which has a fireplace in what is now our dining room (we added on a living room and turned the old living room into a dining room). I would like to use the existing fireplace to put in a pellet insert which will hopefully heat the whole house. The fireplace is at one end of the house. My questions are how hot will it be in that one room with the pellet stove and will it be able to heat the whole house, even the bedrooms at the other end of the house.

Scott, welcome to the forum.

As for your questions, they're hard to answer due to every house being different. Typically, pellet stoves are considered to be "room" heaters. However, the heat will obviously travel some, but how open your floor plan is will dictate that.

The chances of getting the heat all the way to the other end of your home are small, unless you have a straight shot that can be helped along with some fans.

If you truly are just looking to "alleviate some of my oil bill", the pellet stove will surely do that.

Putting the pellet stove in a central location, will yield the best results at heating 100% of the house.

I used my Classic Bay for 3 seasons exclusively, and it did a Fantastic job. But it is centrally located in a 2,180 sq ft ranch. If it was on the far end, or in the basement, I would have either not heated the house, or had to overheat and run a High setting.

For the record, I ran Low down to about 10* outside, heating the house to 70*-75*. I know use the pellet furnace on the cold days, but any day around or above 30* outside, I still use the Quad upstairs.

On a far end, your either gonna have to be creative with air movement, overheat that room and/or run a high setting to get heat back to the bedrooms.

Most stoves can be direct vented and take up a small area. Any other location/corner available to use? That is closer to the center of the home?

What stoves are you looking at? What's the Budget? Pellet furnaces have some serious benefits ;)

You're layout description, square footage and stove location sounds very similar to my situation. My kitchen/dining room area has high ceilings right up to the roof line and that's the room where my pellet insert is. I keep that room right around 72 degrees which keeps the living room in the middle of the house at about 70 degrees. The bedrooms, which are at the far end of the house, are typically about 62 to 65 degrees. I personally find that to be perfect for sleeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.