Pellet stove insert leak exhaust smoke (Fixed)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Simon0827

Dec 18, 2017
Maryland
I purchased a house with breckwell pellet stove insert but is leak smoke all the time. If i let it burn for couple hour it will smell burn for whole house. I vacuum and clean the exhaust pipe, its still smoke. Than i pull the top panel and look for smoke when first start and i find the stove leak smoke at the all joint especially on the connection pipe at the exhaust fan and one more connection between the 90 joint. I try to reseal the pipe with silicone but it still leak less. I am frustrated with the stove installation. Notice the pipe don't fit right at all the pipe. If u push the pipe down to their lock position. The stove sit little low to the per drill exhaust pipe. I and that pipe is not total center with pipe (offset) slightly. I have to pull the pipe slightly apart to install them and its a pain since I have almost no space to work. Sorry for the painful explanation. My question is that can I use stainless steel exhaust pipe for car as alternative. I can cut and bent what i need to fit and use me high temp exhaust wrap that rated 1500 degree and clamp to seal and insulated the pipe. I think its should be ok. Opinion

why not just seal the joint between the existing? Or pull the stove right out and try to fix the issue with it lining up?

The
Did they use an appliance adapter to connect to the stove?

They use. 3" simpson adapter and pipe that rated L. I know I research this for couple day. Since I noticed, they use a lot of silicone between the base adapter and the 90o elbow. I know that a problem. The stove only use only 3 pipe honestly to connect to the outside. (Adapter to one foot pipe to 90 elbow to 2 foot pipe that it).

Use Metallic Silver Foil Tape to seal the vent joints. Much better at sealing than silicone and easy to remove for cleaning.
---Nailer---

why not just seal the joint between the existing? Or pull the stove right out and try to fix the issue with it lining up?

I try that already still leak but less. Like I said the stove installed slightly lower from the existing hole from the wall that is not workable with the pre-fab pipe. I can't pull the stove all the way out. I can pull the stove about half of foot out the wall that is since the base is elevated. I have no space unless the pipe is flexable or custom cut pipe. I am a performance mechanic and I have 3" stainless steel pipe laying around for exhaust . so I could cut, seal, and bent what i need to fix this issues.

Use Metallic Silver Foil Tape to seal the vent joints. Much better at sealing than silicone and easy to remove for cleaning.
---Nailer---

I am going to try use it. It hard to do since the stove need to be in it place that not much space for me to work with when push back in. And I still need to clean all the old silicone off from the old pipe. I just wish the pipe is flexable. Lol

im assuming since you can get things hooked up the stove is not much lower than pipe.. What about putting some hardi board panel under the stove. Its about 1/4 inch and fireproof. Thats what i have under my stove as a ash catcher and we ran some last year inside a outdoor wood furnace and pulled the full section out after a season

Thank for all the suggestion. And here Is the updated.

First of all ,I already try to put it out and clean all the connection than I reseal everything with high temp silicone with foil tape over it. It still leak a little no matter what.

So since I have couple feet of 16 gauge stainless steel 3 inch pipe laying around I cut and bent to fit what I need. Instead of welding the pipe which is hard to do for that space I use couple 3" high temp silicone hose with clamp to make the connection which allow me to disconnect the pipe to clean in the future.

Fire the stove and check for leak and temp for the pipe. sure enough no leak at all for 24 hour of running and the pipe temp reach only about 150 degree at the middle. So I am happy with the result. It been run well over 36 hour with no problem. I did wrap the pipe with fiberglass wrap for insulation.

Last if I have to do it again. I would use 16 gauge aluminum pipe instead of stainless steel. Stainless just have poor heat transfer value.