Pellet stove insert questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zyggy

May 5, 2007
I'm looking for a insert that has battery back up. The dimensions of my fireplace are 36" wide, 23" high, and 18" deep. I've been looking for the last several days and I'm not having much luck finding any pellet stove insert that will match what I have.

Also, total square footage of my condo is 900 sq feet.

Should I forget about trying to find something small enough or should I keep looking?

I have access to pellets, but would have to buy a ton. I guess I'll have to make a couch, love seat, coffee table, dining table and a few beds out of the bags that won't fit in my storage area. :)

Thanks for your time.

jp, we have used power inverters and a 12 volt marine battery for backups on quads, as long as you dont cycle them they will run for quite a while on a full charge.

MountainStoveGuy said:
jp, we have used power inverters and a 12 volt marine battery for backups on quads, as long as you dont cycle them they will run for quite a while on a full charge.

What does cycle them mean?

cycle refers to the start up and shut down cycle. when the stove fires, the ignitor is on for 1.5 mintues which is a heavy draw on a battery. When you are in battery back up mode you dont want the stove turning off and on, you want it to stay on to preserve battery life.

MSG thats a good idea...

zyggy: what you would do is get the stove going and then once you heat the space up turn it down to low and let is run slow. That way you don't ever have to ignite it again.

jtp10181 said:
MSG thats a good idea...

zyggy: what you would do is get the stove going and then once you heat the space up turn it down to low and let is run slow. That way you don't ever have to ignite it again.

That's what my plan would be.

I just don't know whether having such a small condo would justify buying a very expensive pellet stove.

Thing is when its any degree of cold out it should be just nice on idle. No pellet , multifuel or corn stove is a big heat producer on low. 10k BTU or so should just keep things nice till you feel like shutting it off. I seldom shut mine down except to clean it until this time of year when it only goes on to drive off the cold in the AM or PM. Its the auto start up mode that won't work when using an inverter so you just do it by hand. My stove doesn't have an auto start and while possibly handy in the warmer times like now I really don't miss it at all. There is nothing at all wrong with the match and shavings or gell method of starting, I use a propane turbo torch myself with no accellerant at all. Another arguable point I guess with the cost would be putting a standard stove in and simply run it out an exterior wall. Going up an existing fireplace is going to be the more costly installation by far than just a 5' vertical stubbed out the wall. Going out the wall is much much simpler all the way around. Just a thought that was as its all about the space you want to use, personal likes and what you want to spend that is the deciding mix. Anyways you picked a good time to go shopping as its a long ways till winter.

The Thelin pellet stove has this feature. There was one for sale by mgambuzza.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/7130/

However, I don't know if you'll get 5 days out of the backup unless you supplemented the battery size. I would have a backup battery just in case, or you could take it out of your car if you drive long enough during the day to recharge it . However, you'd have to be real careful not to drain it down to the point where it couldn't start the car!

Another thought might be to put a gas heater in the fireplace that allows manual ignition and has excellent convective properties.

Do you live in the NW? We were without power 7 days in last winter's storm. 5.5 days in 1996.

BeGreen said:
The Thelin pellet stove has this feature. There was one for sale by mgambuzza.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/7130/

However, I don't know if you'll get 5 days out of the backup unless you supplemented the battery size. I would have a backup battery just in case, or you could take it out of your car if you drive long enough during the day to recharge it . However, you'd have to be real careful not to drain it down to the point where it couldn't start the car!

Another thought might be to put a gas heater in the fireplace that allows manual ignition and has excellent convective properties.

Do you live in the NW? We were without power 7 days in last winter's storm. 5.5 days in 1996.

I was living in Bellevue, now I live in Auburn. I take the train to work, so the car battery wouldn't work for me.

I don't have access to gas, and I don't think the condo association would let me bring in a propane tank.

I do appreciate all the ideas, and I'm not saying no to anything, I just have to think about everything.

Driz said:
Thing is when its any degree of cold out it should be just nice on idle. No pellet , multifuel or corn stove is a big heat producer on low. 10k BTU or so should just keep things nice till you feel like shutting it off. I seldom shut mine down except to clean it until this time of year when it only goes on to drive off the cold in the AM or PM. Its the auto start up mode that won't work when using an inverter so you just do it by hand. My stove doesn't have an auto start and while possibly handy in the warmer times like now I really don't miss it at all. There is nothing at all wrong with the match and shavings or gell method of starting, I use a propane turbo torch myself with no accellerant at all. Another arguable point I guess with the cost would be putting a standard stove in and simply run it out an exterior wall. Going up an existing fireplace is going to be the more costly installation by far than just a 5' vertical stubbed out the wall. Going out the wall is much much simpler all the way around. Just a thought that was as its all about the space you want to use, personal likes and what you want to spend that is the deciding mix. Anyways you picked a good time to go shopping as its a long ways till winter.

I have VERY limited space in my condo, so a free standing one wouldn't work, but there are some beauties that I've been drooling over. :)

Thelin Gnome is a great small stove that runs on 12 volts and can be equipped with a battery back-up. But remember, any battery system will not run your stove for an extended period. Long periods off the power grid will require a different approach to back up. From your posts it sounds like you are in the Seattle area, right? You should be able to check with the power company and find out what the failure rates and lengths are in your area. BeGreen had an extend outage this Winter which lasted several days in the South Sound area. It would happen in an urban area, but is not likely.

We had some outages this year, but I had only a few hours with downed service. Other areas had a day or two. Friends asked me what they should do, and I suggested getting a quality ventless Kerosene heater and a 5gal. Can of fuel and keep it in the garage for emergencies. May mean heating one or two rooms, but they won't freeze for 4-5 days, and they can always buy a can of fuel.

I use pellets only, and I get a lot colder than the Sound. I don't have a power back up, but am looking at options. I will probably get a generator that will do more than run the stove, so I can continue to make a living in the shop. I'm just hoping Christensen Diamonds doesn't relocate as I am on the same power feed and they get great service from the power company.

Check out the pic of that cat in front of the Thelin stove! Thats one bad lookin dude. I bet he would like to eat someone's face. Notice the one on my avitar is just an old fat cat who suns himself in front of the stove all the time.

Zyggy, I feel for ya. Is a wood insert or stove out of the question? That and a generator is what carried us through the outage.

Yup, if you want to have reliable power you best get your hands on a generator. You don't need a big one but in this modern new age of grid unreliability its all there is. Its strange, when I was a kid in the early to mid 60's power outages for extended periods were almost unheard of. Today its an accepted part of life. Thats one you can't blame on global warming, just greed and deregulation. We bought ours at Sears during the 98 ice storm and it gets used at least a couple times a year. Lately whenever there is a storm in the late afternoon they tend to not get the power on again till morning if its in the Summer. It's nice to just roll out the genny and plug in whatever we need to keep from going nuts. I can't speak to all stoves but my Generac (Sears) works my Countryside, Bigscreen TV and even my computer ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.