pellet stove install at altitude 8400 ft.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikehug

Sep 21, 2009
Colorado
I am thinking of installing a pellet stove in my 950 square foot walkout basement up in the mountains. I want to heat the lower level and hopefully some of the upper level. Two questions: What size stove should I get? (heats up to 1500 or 2000 etc.) Secondly, I have heard that at elevation I should increase the size of air intake from 3 inch to 4 inch--true?

Thanks

Mike

I would put somewhere in the neighborhood of a 30k-40k btu stove in there. You should increase the flue size to 4" at your elevation, and have at least 5' of vertical pipe on the outside or inside. I just installed a pellet stove at 9000', and im glad i had it with this mornings 4" dump!

Status
Not open for further replies.