Pellet stove install in basement - Enough PVC pipe clearance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
I'm now calculating how much pipe I need so I removed one of the drop ceiling 2x2 tiles in the basement, this is a corner install going up between the ceiling joists/beams, on the left corner I remember and saw this big PVC pipe (water drainage from upstairs) in between the 2 beams my stove pipe will go through. I think the PVC pipe is about 3" in diameter.

I have about 9 and half inches between the PVC pipe and the beam on the right, my stove pipe will be 3" diameter, so I will end up having about 3" clearance on each side. Is this good enough clearance? How can I cover both the beam and the PVC pipe to make it "bullet proof" against heat from the stove pipe.

I'd like to make sure that heat will not take any effect against the PVC and the beam.....and don't feel nervous at all once the install is complete and I put the drop ceiling back in place.

I can post a picture....

I think I'd ask the building inspector to come by for a visit and see what he/she thinks about it. They're the person who you ultimately need to satisfy anyway.

Last I checked approved 3" pellet exhaust pipe such as Dura-vent had 1" clearance, so you should be okay. And yes check with your local codes office as they may have stiffer requirements.

dac122 said:
Last I checked approved 3" pellet exhaust pipe such as Dura-vent had 1" clearance, so you should be okay. And yes check with your local codes office as they may have stiffer requirements.

I saw that in their specs but I still want to put something in there just to be 100% sure.

geek said:
dac122 said:

I saw that in their specs but I still want to put something in there just to be 100% sure.

With Simpson's Duratech line of pipe you only need 1" of clearence to combustible surfaces and that is as per NFPA code.

Geek,

If you are really worried, You could always wrap the pipe with some high heat wrap. (Rating should be 250º or higher)

But there really isnt a need for it. Just stay more than an inch away and you should be fine!

jay

thanks guys,

Status
Not open for further replies.