pellet stove install ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tds8268

Nov 15, 2010
eastern PA
Considering a US Stove King Pellet 5500. I'm wondering if I can exhaust the stove into my brick chimney that is presently used by my oil furnace? I'm still using the oil furnace and plan on using it in the future. Just thinking about a pellet stove to aid in heating or completely heating the first floor of my home. Thanks for any tips.

I don't think sharing a flue with the oil burner is allowed in any state these days. Its really not that hard going thru the wall with a thimble and piping it outside. A bunch safer too!

BTW Welcome Aboard...... Alot of great people in here with tons of knowledge to help along the way... :coolsmirk:

I don't have much on the 5500. I have only tinkered on a 6039 and a 6041. Good stoves if your handy as there isn't any dealer support and your going to be the mechanic. US Stove will send you parts is about all.

Here is something on the sister to the 5500.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/46097/

Oh and like samm6 say's! Welcome to the group. Fun place here with a few nuts and loose screws(me included). We'll try to help as best we can!

Perhaps I should just ask, what stove would you suggest. Just looking to aid or completely heat our first floor (1200 sq ft.). Have oil fired hot water with five zones so I can turn off the rooms that heat well with the pellet stove in the basement. Looked at a Harmon, local dealer, but he's talking $3200.00 plus $800.00 for the install. Wasn't looking to spent 4 grand for a pellet stove for the basement. Located in southeastern PA mid-way between Phila. and Harrisburg any suggestions? Thank you all very much!

Kind of depends what your looking for and If your the person who is going to work on it. Do you need a stove with Dealer support? Or can you handle the task on the repairing if there needed?

j-takeman said:
I don't think sharing a flue with the oil burner is allowed in any state these days. Its really not that hard going thru the wall with a thimble and piping it outside. A bunch safer too!

You can in Maine, they changed the regulation lat year.

An Act To Permit the Use of a Common Flue for Oil and Solid Fuel Burning Equipment
Be it enacted by the People of the State of Maine as follows:
Sec. 1. 25 MRSA §2465, sub-§1-A, as enacted by PL 2005, c. 571, §1, is amended to read:

1-A. Routine technical rules. The Commissioner of Public Safety shall adopt rules pertaining to the construction, installation, maintenance and inspection of chimneys, fireplaces, vents and solid fuel burning appliances. Rules adopted pursuant to this subsection may include rules pertaining to maintenance and inspections, except as provided in subsection 1-B. Rules adopted pursuant to this subsection may not prohibit the continued use of an existing connection of a solid fuel burning appliance to a chimney flue to which another appliance burning oil or solid fuel is connected for any chimney existing and in use prior to February 2, 1998 as long as sufficient draft is available for each appliance, the chimney is lined and structurally intact and a carbon monoxide detector is installed in the building near a bedroom. Rules adopted pursuant to this subsection are routine technical rules as defined in Title 5, chapter 375, subchapter 2-A.

Sec. 2. 32 MRSA §2402-A, as enacted by PL 1999, c. 386, Pt. J, §16, is amended to read:
§ 2402-A.Rules

The board may adopt reasonable rules for the issuance of various types and classes of licenses to cover oil and solid fuel burner installations and to set forth standards and rules for product approval. Rules adopted pursuant to this section may not prohibit the continued use of an existing connection of a solid fuel burning appliance to a chimney flue to which another appliance burning oil or solid fuel is connected for any chimney existing and in use prior to February 2, 1998 as long as sufficient draft is available for each appliance, the chimney is lined and structurally intact and a carbon monoxide detector is installed in the building near a bedroom. A license may cover one or more types of installations. The board may further adopt reasonable rules concerning the term and type of experience required by candidates for examination.

Effective September 12, 2009

That applies only in the case of a preexisting continuing use.

If that flue was not used in that manner before to do so now isn't allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.