1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

pellet stove installation

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by 4dimad, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4dimad

4dimad New Member

Loc:
    MA
    Hi, I will soon be installing a new P38 Harman Pellet stove - I think I can do it myself.
    Is it just cut a hole through the wall, and stick a pipe?
    What else should I have? What Pellet venting pipe (kit) would you recommend? Thank you!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern MA
    If you are fairly handy with tools and confident with your abilities, yes you can do it yourself, many of us have. I'm not knowledgeable about Harman stoves, but others will chime in here with good suggestions for you.

I would also suggest that you grab a cold one, sit and do a lot of reading on these forums. Do some searches on the P38 and you'll learn a whole bunch! Also, use your owners manual/installation guide as your BEST source of information.

Best of luck!

Steve
  3. 4dimad

4dimad New Member

Loc:
    MA
    Here is my installation option. What brand of the venting would you recommend?

Attached Files:

4. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern MA
    There are several different brands of pellet vent out there, but I used Simpson Duravent Pellet Vent Pro myself. Try and purchase the best you can afford and it must be double-wall pipe specifically designed for pellet stoves.

Steve
  5. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    I like Simpson Dura Vent becuse I am a Dealer. How may I assist you, Sir?

Eric
    330-876-0200
  6. tonyd

tonyd Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Hughesville Md
    Before you do any installing, put on a pair of safety glasses. I learned the hard way. Before installing my insert, I got on my back and started poking around to see what is was going to take to get the damper out. Moving things around, a bit of whatever came down, right in my eye. Didn't bother me much at first, but i did scratch my eye. You all know the rest. Stove works better then my eye right now.
  7. 4dimad

4dimad New Member

Loc:
    MA
  8. twiddler

twiddler New Member

Loc:
    Maine
    I ran my pipes indoors before venting out, hoping to capture heat from the pipes. My pipes did get hot when I ran my stove for about an hour. They say its safe as long as theres 3 inch clearance from the wall, but I'm wondering if I should still put some kind of fire proof barrier between the pipes and wall.
  9. tonyd

tonyd Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Hughesville Md
    If you decide to use Selkirk I have 1 stove adapter, two 1'sections. one 2'section plus three 90s . $60 shipped.
  10. firewarrior820

firewarrior820 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    auburn maine
    excel pellet pipe nice !
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.