pellet stove installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4dimad

Jul 4, 2008
MA
Hi, I will soon be installing a new P38 Harman Pellet stove - I think I can do it myself.
Is it just cut a hole through the wall, and stick a pipe?
What else should I have? What Pellet venting pipe (kit) would you recommend? Thank you!

If you are fairly handy with tools and confident with your abilities, yes you can do it yourself, many of us have. I'm not knowledgeable about Harman stoves, but others will chime in here with good suggestions for you.

I would also suggest that you grab a cold one, sit and do a lot of reading on these forums. Do some searches on the P38 and you'll learn a whole bunch! Also, use your owners manual/installation guide as your BEST source of information.

Best of luck!

Steve

Here is my installation option. What brand of the venting would you recommend?

Attachments

• pellet.jpg
    pellet.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 817
There are several different brands of pellet vent out there, but I used Simpson Duravent Pellet Vent Pro myself. Try and purchase the best you can afford and it must be double-wall pipe specifically designed for pellet stoves.

Steve

I like Simpson Dura Vent becuse I am a Dealer. How may I assist you, Sir?

Eric
330-876-0200

Before you do any installing, put on a pair of safety glasses. I learned the hard way. Before installing my insert, I got on my back and started poking around to see what is was going to take to get the damper out. Moving things around, a bit of whatever came down, right in my eye. Didn't bother me much at first, but i did scratch my eye. You all know the rest. Stove works better then my eye right now.

I ran my pipes indoors before venting out, hoping to capture heat from the pipes. My pipes did get hot when I ran my stove for about an hour. They say its safe as long as theres 3 inch clearance from the wall, but I'm wondering if I should still put some kind of fire proof barrier between the pipes and wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.