Pellet Stove Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eba1225

Feeling the Heat
Mar 30, 2007
Chester Springs, Pa
I am considering getting a pellet stove for my basement for intermittent use and the likely place to run the exhaust is through a casement window.

This window would of course be removed and replaced with a more substancial material and a thruwall connection would be used. It would be about a 4ft rise to get to the window, a 3ft run to get through the window, and then would be another 5 ft rise to get to a exhaust height of 3ft above ground.

What do you guys think?

As a side quesion: What is the maximum length that a horizontal run could be for the exhaust?

my father has his in the basement, installed it right through the cinder blocks (sp?), drilled out a 3in hole for the duravent and leveled out the stove

why do you need it to be 3ft off the ground?

eba1225 said:
I am considering getting a pellet stove for my basement for intermittent use and the likely place to run the exhaust is through a casement window.

This window would of course be removed and replaced with a more substancial material and a thruwall connection would be used. It would be about a 4ft rise to get to the window, a 3ft run to get through the window, and then would be another 5 ft rise to get to a exhaust height of 3ft above ground.

What do you guys think?

As a side quesion: What is the maximum length that a horizontal run could be for the exhaust?

Do you have a specific stove in mind? The minimum clearances vary depending on the stove
you are interested in. Most owner manuals can be found online to help determine the
specific requirements.

My stove is installed in my below grade basement.
The pipe goes up 5ft then 3 ft out through the foundation.
The ground clearance of the termination is about 20", manual states min is 18".

I have no specific stoves in mind yet.

The reason that I would go through the window is that the basement is fully below grade. My other possibility, probobly not an option, is to go through the sill plate of the wall by that is pretty close to the floor and therefore would not have much clearance between the pipe and the subfloor.

The reason for 3 ft is I have seen you need adequate clearance between the exhaust and ground, I guess it could be less but wanted to be safe. I also wanted to be sure that the is sufficient distance from the window to insure that the exhaust gases disperse.

The configuration that you mention should be fine. Once you decide on a stove, I would confirm in the stove's manual that your exhaust configuration is indeed ok for that that stove. I think the max that you should run for a horizontal run is 4 foot. Your configuration is close to the 3" or 4" vent pipe decission. With 3 elbows and and 12' of pipe, you are close to the point where you would need 4". Again, check the manual to confirm for that stove. The extra 5 foot vertical that you want to install will increase your draft efficiency as well as satisfy your other needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.