pellet stove is noisy.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
I have a newly installed Englander, for testing only we turned it on today once installed and I noticed the stove to be very noisy.

It's installed on first floor of my 2-story colonial and through the wall straight out.
The vent exhaust is straight out horizontally, pipe is not rising up, could this be one reason that the stove is very noisy, OR is this stove very NOISY because that is what it is...???????????

I have a 25-PDVC and the noise is about what I expected with two blowers and two augers running.

didn't install with a rise because the pipe is a few inches away from the siding and when we tried to hold the upper side of the pipe the clamp was not long enough......

I know this may not be a good reason but I need someone to answer the question: is this REALLY causing the higher-than-normal noise?

Also, the manual doesn't make the rise a requirement.

thanks for the replies....!!!!
I will keep the stove off until I really find answers to this, if the rise is the problem then I will change the piping outside when I hear from you guys the experts....

our goes straight out the wall as well and ours is quite it is only noisy when we turn the fan on high and that is just the fan other wise very pleased with our new stove sorry to hear about your stove hope you get your answers and good luck

feel the heat said:
our goes straight out the wall as well and ours is quite it is only noisy when we turn the fan on high and that is just the fan other wise very pleased with our new stove sorry to hear about your stove hope you get your answers and good luck

....so because mine doesn't have the rise it means this should NOT cause the noise blower/auger.....
my house/neighborhood is very quiet up here, I put the blower on just 1 but it is still very noisy..!!!!

do you have a picture of yours?

also, how did you install the outside air intake?

yeah i have a pic but i guess the pic is to big to attach on here how do i make it smaller to place on here you should call the dealer you dealt with and ask them your stove should be under warranty if it is new right? our stove is a saranac it is a free standing with gold trim very similar to the st. croixs it is a big stove 50 thou. btu

I thought you have an Englander......that's what I have.....maybe yours doesn't require the rise??
You make the pic smaller if you save in JPG format, or right click on it and select "Send to..." and then choose "Mail recipient", XP will make pic very small and manageable....

you could call the guy I dealt with and highly recommend very honest and service and installation was absolutely perfect we are very picky and we did a lot of research with many places and these people were and are the best in our eyes Mike is his name and they travel all over ct. they came out free for us to look at our home and take measurements Cedar Mountain Stoves 2198 Berlin Turnpike Newington Ct. 06111 www.cedarmountainstoves.com 1-800-869-2579

When you say noisy, can you be more specific? What type of a noise is it?

I don't believe not having a rise in your vent would effect the noise of the stove but I think you can get clamps of different lengths from Simpson. Try their website.

That being said, all pellet stoves make noise. The exhaust blower on mine makes almost no noise but the room blower is noisy. The augers, especially if there are no pellets passing through them, also make a small amount of noise. I thought the same thing about ours, that it was loud, when we first installed it but after a couple of days I no longer noticed the sound. Just what you get use to I guess.

If yours is making more noise than a high velocity house fan then you might have a problem.

Englanders require an outside air kit.

not sure how describe how loud is the noise, but when it was running yesterday I went to the other side of the house to the half bathroom and I could still hear the stove, my first floor is about 900 sq. ft. or so, I know is not a very long distance but ....

I was working at the dinner table on my laptop and stove is about 10 feet away, obviously at this distance the noise is higher but I was not expecting to be disturbing, I mean it is noisy and I wish I could compare the noise level with something ......

I hear that you probably got used to it but man, to me this is almost unacceptable.

I will re-route the pipe and rise it up 3 feet to see if any difference, this may create the draft it needs or whatever to operate "more efficiently" but my hopes are not high in this matter, I really hope this will decrease the blower noise.

Thanks for the replies to those that have the same stove I have, 25-PDV.
Is your installed with a rise on the ouside pipe?

http://www.englanderstoves.com/25-pdv.html

I installed a 25pdv in feb this year, with the 2 blowers and 2 augers running I don't find the noise objectionable at all. it's about as noisy as a bathroom vent fan

HarryT said:
I installed a 25pdv in feb this year, with the 2 blowers and 2 augers running I don't find the noise objectionable at all. it's about as noisy as a bathroom vent fan

Not sure how noisy is your bath fan but the fan in my first floor half bath is NOT as noisy as this stove, definately not.

I guess I'll adjust the outside pipe and rise it as the manual says, BUT I'm not feeling positive this will improve or lower the noise level.......
Would be nice to see more posts from people using this same stove.

Thanks for your reply...!!

Status
Not open for further replies.