1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

pellet stove issues ecoteck

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by myers7457, Feb 25, 2013.

1. myers7457

myers7457 New Member

Loc:
    central pa
    We bought an ecotec in october 2011. We like the stove and it heats the house. I like the fact that you can run it from onboard tstat and it shuts off or it runs and drops off to minimum. The problem we have had is the cleaning required. I have nothing but good things to say about the dealer. It was dealer installed. He has back many times to try and get it set up properly. The stove is basically needed to have a complete cleaning on a monthly basis(sometimes more). We use only the pellets that the dealer suggested. The dealer has suggested we switch to a quadrfire classic bay 1200. I was just loooking for thoughts on ecoteck or quadrafire.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    What were you running through the stove on a monthly basis?

What brand of pellets was it?

Pellet stove cleaning is all driven by ash levels produced and that varies by pellet brand, type, and a host of other things.
  3. Sweets

Sweets Guest

Finally someone cleaning stove often
    Like I do..
  4. myers7457

myers7457 New Member

Loc:
    central pa
    They are green team out of Pa. I have burnt 2 tons and started on the 3rd. I started burning these part way through last year. I tried other pellets but it was worse. The dealer says we shouldnt be cleaning it this often.
  5. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Lets see if I have this right you started burning on the 3rd (of what month and year please) and you have put two tons of Green team through the stove since.then.

Two tons is enough for two good complete cleanings on a lot of stoves plus the normal weeklies.

Would you please describe the flame (color, activity, etc.) and how the stove was installed venting starting at the stove and going to and including the termination cap. Size, lengths, orientations, and angles of all elbows along the nature of the insulation and air sealing (tightness) of your house and any other air movers in the house that move air from inside to the outside?.
  6. Sweets

Sweets Guest

Damn , that's a lotta info u need , no
  7. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

The Ecoteck is a great stove, but has numerous different controls. The Classic Bay is a Great Heater with just 3 heat settings. Set to desired temp, then select heat range, Bam. Heat. Easy Peasy.

There are a few Ecoteck owners on here now, give them time to chime in (Lake Girl, Bio-Burner)
  8. Sweets

Sweets Guest

Get the wisewaypelletstoves and be
    Done with it...
  9. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Not really... if you want a good diagnosis? That's what people here are best at?

The more info and pics, the easier and faster a result may come up.
    343amc and SmokeyTheBear like this.
  10. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    A lot of stove burn issues are caused by a messed up installation or not considering the entire house and stove as a system.
    DexterDay likes this.
  11. Sweets

Sweets Guest

It must be the pellets your dealer
    Providing..
  12. Sweets

Sweets Guest

Yeah it's the stove set up , everybody
    Blames the pellets
  13. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Greene Team is a Very Good pellet.

Have you tried any?
  14. Sweets

Sweets Guest

Maybe it needs drafting or something
  15. SwineFlue

SwineFlue Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Pa
    I think the OP meant they have started on the 3rd ton... since last year.
  16. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Sweets, there could be a lot to that needs drafting as in combustion air flow but without "all of that funny information" I was asking about we may never find out and the OP just might find out that a new stove of any kind isn't the answer at all and still produces the same situation..
  17. Sweets

Sweets Guest

What pellets????
  18. Sweets

Sweets Guest

I like when you call me sweets ,it sounds funny.
  19. Sweets

Sweets Guest

Sorry guy , I'll take a back seat..
  20. Sweets

Sweets Guest

I think the problem is your dealer , he's trying to sell u another stove +tells you to stay with
    Those pellets , try a better brand of pellets , pa pellet have high ash content
  21. Sweets

Sweets Guest

Call ct pellet , he'll give you different bag to try .
  22. Sweets

Sweets Guest

I don't think there's a problem with 2010
    Stove installed by the dealer
  23. Sweets

Sweets Guest

24. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Huh? CT pellet is pretty far away? Not exactly sound advice, for someone truly looking for help?

Greene Teams are a good pellet. After 2 tons, its likely ash is built up in the works, intake has become clogged, EVL isn't correct (yes, some dealers mess that up).
  25. Sweets

Sweets Guest

I'm sorry , I thought you were from ct.