Pellet Stove Permit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MainePellethead

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2007
Southern Maine
Is it pretty much standard for communities to require a permit be pulled for installation or is it based on individual municipalities??
Just curious because I ran into a guy that sells and installs and says a permit is not needed....could that be true?

my code enforcement officer said I didnt need a permit but to have the fire inspector look at the install.having something that says the install was approved by a fire inspector helps with home owners insurance too

AgtSmith said:
my code enforcement officer said I didnt need a permit but to have the fire inspector look at the install.having something that says the install was approved by a fire inspector helps with home owners insurance too

The reason I ask is.....my fiance is an insurance agent.....in her experience, insurance companies only need to know if they were professionally installed and not necessarily if there was a permit pulled or not. So was wondering if some towns require it or not...

I think the answer is - it depends ;-)

Insurance is a funny thing. My brother in the city could not get insurance until a loose tile in the kitchen was repaired. My place in the sticks - the insurance agent took a photo of the house and measured the length of the outside walls. Never even stepped into the place.

As to requireing the building permit, you should check. If your town requires one, pull it.

Cheers

Kenny

Hmm
In the small town in Eastern Massachusetts that I reside in...I was surprised to find I was the first person to get a permit for a pellet stove (year 2003). I live in a condo complex and the Condo Board required me to get one once they found out I installed a pellet stove. When the Town Building Inspector showed up, he was amazed at how the pellet stove worked. Didn't check out the venting or anything like that. Just wanted to see the stove fire up. Oh yeah and 25 bucks. Wish everything was that easy.
But in talking with the Inspector...it is required in Massachusetts whenever you change or modify and existing fireplace (that was originally inspected I might add) that the work be inspected by the Building Inspector before inital fire up.

Status
Not open for further replies.