Pellet stove pipe connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonw440

Oct 24, 2006
I changed our stove pipe from 6" down to double walled 3 Simons duravent.
I can not get the pipe onto my Harmon P61A. It only goes on about 2 inches. I think the tabs are keeping it from going on further.(The tabs lock into the next piece, but since the pellet stove has a smooth exhaust hookup it seems to small)
I have tried tapping it with a rubber mallet but I dont want to crush the pipe. Any suggestions?

Jon said:
I changed our stove pipe from 6" down to double walled 3 Simons duravent.
I can not get the pipe onto my Harmon P61A. It only goes on about 2 inches. I think the tabs are keeping it from going on further.(The tabs lock into the next piece, but since the pellet stove has a smooth exhaust hookup it seems to small)
I have tried tapping it with a rubber mallet but I dont want to crush the pipe. Any suggestions?
On my Harmon XXV there was a "special" 3" pipe t hat had locking grooves on one side, and on the side that met the stove it was smooth. My pipe is Simpson duravent, I can get you the pipe number if you think that is what you need.

I brought the piece to my dealer and he slid it on the showroom P61. I guess it doesn't go all the way on. I will be using high temp silicone around the seam anyway.
The part number on the pipe I am using is 3006B.
Could you still provide the part number on yours?
Thanks!

Jon said:
I brought the piece to my dealer and he slid it on the showroom P61. I guess it doesn't go all the way on. I will be using high temp silicone around the seam anyway.
The part number on the pipe I am using is 3006B.
Could you still provide the part number on yours?
Thanks!

Yes it is called a stove starter and is number 3079. the XXV has a cast iron fitting on the back of the stove...this might be different than yours.

You can either put standard pellet pipe on the collar on the stove OR you can use the starter pipe. The angle of my install wouldnt allow me to use the starter as it moved the 45* elbow to far away from the stove. If your doing a corner install it will be hard to use the 45* & the starter pipe.
I put the 45* directly onto the collar of the stove, used silicone inside the 2 parts of the pipe and slid it on the collar. Then smeared the outside of the joint with silicone. So far so good.

This is another members posted photo but you get the idea. If the starter collar was used here the stove would be a further 3-4" out from the wall.
Harmans manual states that it is not necessary to use the starter pipe.

Attachments

• 100_5918p (Small).jpg
    100_5918p (Small).jpg
    42 KB · Views: 326
Thanks guys for the replies!
I sealed the inner pipe, the collar then slid the starter pipe on. Then smeared the outside.
Tomorrow after the silicon as cured I will wrap the joint with aluminum foil high temp tape.
I guess it is better to over seal then to wake up dead from C.O. poisoning........ :)

Status
Not open for further replies.