Pellet Stove placement help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Do you guys know the difference between the 3pvl-kha and 3pvm-kha venting kit?

Tractor supply did not have the $149 model in Stock but gave me the 3pvl-kha model for the discounted price. That was nice of them but I need to make sure it is the same dura-vent kit so I can get a compatible 45 degree elbow that I need for corner installation.

The pvm is multifuel pvl is just pellet

The pvm is multifuel pvl is just pellet

Hey Rich do you happen to remember the dimensions of the container/pallet that the serenity came in? My cherokee is down for repairs and all I have is my TJ wrangler. Ace called and said it's ready to pick up.

Is it ok to place it on it's side or must it stay upright? I saw a picture online of someone laying it down on it's side in the back of a SUV.

Reactions: rich2500
The box is just barely bigger then the stove maybe 2 1/2 feet square, yeah I hauled mine 2 hrs home lying on its side but you will have to open the box and take the burn pot out so it can't fly around and break the door glass.It will probably be strapped to a pallet which would be easier to haul if you remove it from the pallet
IMG_20160217_141501_zpsksfyozb9.jpg

Last edited:
The box is just barely bigger then the stove maybe 2 1/2 feet square, yeah I hauled mine 2 hrs home lying on its side but you will have to open the box and take the burn pot out so it can't fly around and break the door glass.It will probably be strapped to a pallet which would be easier to haul if you remove it from the pallet.

Thanks. It'll fit in the back of my wrangler if I take the top off. It will be a chilly ride to Ace tomorrow!

And it's a good thing I recently installed heavy duty coil springs on my jeep.:cool:

Reactions: Lake Girl
At least you got one last year they were selling faster then they could get them.

Well is it home safely

Reactions: bogieb
It just barely fit under my top so I didn't have to remove it. Took 3.5 of us (.5 was a little lady) to lift it into the jeep.

IMAG1697_zpspr8m4z1r.jpg

Now the fun part is getting it out on my own. I predict the jeep flipping over backwards and landing on my porch.

Sweet, keep us posted

Got it out. First the tires were flattened by the weight so I had to get the Viair out and fix that. Then I couldn't tilt it cuz the top was too close so I had to remove the top. Then finally It bounced out of the jeep and onto the porch and then into the kitchen. No damage or death occurred

45 degree elbow and fresh air kit is currently on the big brown truck. I'll start searching for local pellets. I wonder if Tractor Supply has good ones. I can't remember the name of them but they were in white bags. If not them then I have a small mom and pop shop slash UPS drop off store a couple miles from here that has pellets by the ton.

I wonder if i can stack a ton of pellets into the back of the jeep. ;lol

Reactions: rich2500 and bogieb
Best to try as many different pellets as you can and see which you like best before buying in bulk. Good thing is the Serenity will eat any pellets you feed it. I have had 26 bags of pellets in my Liberty no problem.

Reactions: bogieb
Best to try as many different pellets as you can and see which you like best before buying in bulk. Good thing is the Serenity will eat any pellets you feed it. I have had 26 bags of pellets in my Liberty no problem.

Thanks for the advice. A local store near me said they will be getting quality pellets in a week or two.

Right now I'm trying to decide on an ash vacuum. What you do you recommend?

I have a cheap shop vac/blower (green) but I don't trust that for the task.

Reactions: rich2500
Last edited:
have you got the stove installed yet, remember we like pics here :)

Reactions: bags
have you got the stove installed yet, remember we like pics here :)

Not yet. I plan to this weekend. I was busy fixing/preparing my other jeep for winter duties and now my mother's monte carlo's heat died so hopefully I find the time. I have a second job as the "family mechanic". lol

I do have to make a floor mat of some sort for the stove too. I kinda forgot about that.

Reactions: rich2500 and bogieb
Tractor Supply seems to have decent pellets but the actual manufacturers vary. In CT at least we get Maine Woods in the white-with-blue-text TSC bags. Someone in NY posted a TSC barcode and they were Currans. Sometimes you can check the UPC to get a manufacturer while other times it's a generic UPC and you'll get no info. If you have an iPhone or Android phone you can download an app called iGepir to read UPCs with your camera and search a UPC database. TSC has the cheapest prices around me. I'm testing six bags of the Maine Woods variety right now and they're doing pretty well. Comparable to Stove Chow from Home Depot and other BBS Energex products.

As for vacuums... I'm using my $40 Black Friday special from Home Depot - a basic Ridgid shop vac with the standard 1 layer filter that came with it. Obviously I shut down the stove completely and make sure it's cool before any vacuuming. I also scoop out a majority of the ash (no ash pan on my stove) before vacuuming. Never had any issues. I am considering a better filter just because i use my vacuum for other projects and I don't want to risk a tear and covering my family room with ash.

Good luck with your Serenity. They seems like really nice, affordable stoves! I definitely like the menu-based controller.

Not yet. I plan to this weekend. I was busy fixing/preparing my other jeep for winter duties and now my mother's monte carlo's heat died so hopefully I find the time. I have a second job as the "family mechanic". lol

I do have to make a floor mat of some sort for the stove too. I kinda forgot about that.

Don't know what you plan to do for floor protection but Lowe's sells these boards, it's what I have used since 2005 Ace also sells them with different patterns on them.
https://m.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-Black-Stove-Board/3818607

Well good, I was going to suggest looking into the Castle Serenity when you mentioned the other two stoves above but I see Rich has already hooked you up. Good deal. What kind of price is Ace selling them for now? I still would like to buy a Serenity and may do so but I'm at my limit for now since I also sprung for a new NC-30 wood stove on a spring sale which I have not put in yet. I have to keep the Boss Lady calm with my burning habits around here. Seems every year I buy some new wood / pellet burning toy. Guess i'm a junkie.

I plan to finish stuff up here finally and get the new wood stove in also. I bought it mainly for backup for the pellet stoves. I fell a few months ago and was laid up badly. I broke both ankles and my right heel so I have been out of commission. I am walking again now and out of my casts so I'm looking forward to getting busy here.

Shoot us some pics when you get that new Serenity in. Get it running and tell us what you think. Good Luck

Reactions: bogieb and rich2500
Hope you continue to full recovery Bags
For the past week or so ace had the Serenity on sale for 899

Don't know what you plan to do for floor protection but Lowe's sells these boards, it's what I have used since 2005 Ace also sells them with different patterns on them.
https://m.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-Black-Stove-Board/3818607

Thanks. I dunno if that will work well on a carpet floor. I plan to build a slight riser out of something and place one of those on top.

I'm not sure how that will look in a corner setup. I could cut it maybe.

Last edited: