Pellet Stove questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2009
West of Boston, MA
My nephew did his due dilgence but when he had the pellet stove delivered and set up he was miserable, said he heard it dropping the pellets, ping ping ping, fans were very loud, said it did not sound like that in the store, so he sold it bada bing. My questions, is it normal to hear the pellets dropping all the time and fans load or was this defective and he should have talked to the dealer and have it taken out and replaced with one that works correctly?

You are going to hear the ping ping ping when pellets drop, and also the sound of fans. I think in the stove shops they have it roaring, and it's actually quieter than when it runs on low. At least that's the way if is with mine. I don't think it was defective.

i agree with newf lover. on high the blower fan hides all the little noises. but you get use to them pretty quick. the ping ping ping is music to my ears

Yep - I would rather hear the pellets dropping than the furnace running any day.

When I first got the stove, I noticed every little noise it made. Now I have had it
so long I don't even notice the sounds unless it changes from the norm.

Only way to get a quieter stove is burn wood instead ;-)

yup ...at $3 a gallon for oil ..I like hearing my stove make its noises!!!..i CRING when I hear the oil boiler kick on ..even it is just to keep itself warm.

Nephew said it was so load with the 2 fans and the pinging that he could not hear the tv at the normal volume so had to turn it louder. He was very disappointed and I think he cannot get a wood stove because he wanted to vent through the wall to outside instead of going up a chimney he does not have so would have to run an exterior chimney so that is way too expensive for him I think.
A friend of mine had one and it did not sound terrible but his did.

well I think i have you all beat,mine makes to sweetest sounds, My says you have just saved a boat load of money by switching to pellets! the ping ping ping sound is money being dropped into a huge jar for your savings.

I recently installed an Enviro M55 C Insert..they also have a Free Standing..tell him to check them out..fan is very quite and yes you can hear the pellets drop BUT a lot quieter than other stoves....

Status
Not open for further replies.