Pellet Stove Recipes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironhorse74

Oct 24, 2009
The Great Pacific North Wet
All this talk about creamed corn in a St Croix Greenfield has me thinking. I know of one lady who wraps potatoes in aluminum foil and puts them on the shelves next to the burn pot. So tonight I took a half pound of burger, some cut up potatoes, cut up carrots. Added garlic salt and Worcestershire sauce wrapped it in a double wrap of aluminum foil and tossed into the Hastings. Over cooked it a bit, however it came out pretty tasty. Next time I think I will operate the stove at 3 instead of 5.

What is for dinner at your house?

Baked potatoes in a pellet stove. What a fascinating concept... I might get drunk enough one night to try this. :)

Hmmm I just picked up a case of Maudite. It's a micro brewery beer from Quebec. It's 8% and I did try it
Saturday. maybe a grill across the firebox with a porterhouse.

OMG. I love Maudite.

I remember the first time I had Maudite -- I had no idea it was an 8%. Actually, I don't remember ...

Some days I actually miss my old Franklin fireplace with the swing in grill! I fueled it with slab wood from the local sawmill. I'd swing the grate over the coals with steaks or pork chops on it and drive the neighbors crazy with the smell of food cooking over a wood fire!!!

Home made chicken pot pie....

IronFire said:
All this talk about creamed corn in a St Croix Greenfield has me thinking. I know of one lady who wraps potatoes in aluminum foil and puts them on the shelves next to the burn pot. So tonight I took a half pound of burger, some cut up potatoes, cut up carrots. Added garlic salt and Worcestershire sauce wrapped it in a double wrap of aluminum foil and tossed into the Hastings. Over cooked it a bit, however it came out pretty tasty. Next time I think I will operate the stove at 3 instead of 5.

What is for dinner at your house?

y'know, I was kind of disappointed about having a pellet stove vs a wood stove because I couldn't cook stuff on top of it when the power goes out.

I never even thought of cooking *IN* it. My generator doesn't have 240v for the kitchen stove, but since the pellet stove will be running this is a hell of a concept. I think I'll try it sometime!

tjnamtiw said:
Some days I actually miss my old Franklin fireplace with the swing in grill! I fueled it with slab wood from the local sawmill. I'd swing the grate over the coals with steaks or pork chops on it and drive the neighbors crazy with the smell of food cooking over a wood fire!!!

I've got a Franklin fireplace type stove. Don't like the thing. I am hoping to upgrade to a newer stove in the next few years. I have read about the wall framing behind these Franklin stoves being charred because they put out so much heat in the back. We only use it when we are home and awake on weekends. Haven't used it yet this year though thanks to the pellet stove!

John97 said:
Baked potatoes in a pellet stove. What a fascinating concept... I might get drunk enough one night to try this. :)

Well, that night was last night. I must say, they came out perfectly. :)

Brad that's pretty cool though I've never tried it.
I do like the energy saving behind it all.
Next time please post pics! :cheese:

I'm gunna try and do a 24 pound turkey in my Harman XXV. Stuffed with a cranberry walnut stuffing. I will let you all know.

Well I was bored this afternoon so I had a discussion with my buddy johnnie walker and figured I'd try this out with tonights skillet fried steak...

DSC_2739.jpg

Why waste electricity heating up the oven?

Of all the things I never thought I'd see, a potato in a pellet stove is one of them.

Too bad we had pizza tonight. :)

Might have to try this next weekend when the wife goes away. She'd really think I went off the deep end if I was cooking in the pellet stove. A Fireside Nut Brown sounds like a good beverage to have while waiting for dinner to cook.

76brian said:
Well I was bored this afternoon so I had a discussion with my buddy johnnie walker and figured I'd try this out with tonights skillet fried steak...

DSC_2739.jpg

well....... How did it turn out? Did you use stove temp setting? What level? :) :)

I put a couple taters in my Whitfield at #3 setting about an hour ago, to go with my meatloaf.
I did the meatloaf in my conventional oven by the way.
The spuds seem a little hard at this time. I"ll report back a little later.
The meatloaf is done.

mepellet said:
76brian said:

DSC_2739.jpg

well....... How did it turn out? Did you use stove temp setting? What level? :) :)

I used a russet potato, on stove temp, at about level 4, burning cubex. It was in there for about 45 mins. I poked it with a fork before wrapping it in foil, and turned it a couple of times while it was in there. There's easily room for 6 medium sized potatoes (3 on each side) on those little shelves to the side.

It was excellent! I will totally do this again.

I'd definitely do it again too. They came out great when I did them. I had the stove running on med-low so I left them in there for like 1.5 hours. Just as good as when I do them on the grill outside.

As I type, I"m noshing on a woderfully cooked "pellet spud". It took about 1 hr 20 min.
The meatloaf is equally as good. Maybe if I get some mini loaf pans I can
do the meatloaf with the taters.

I've been cooking on the exhaust manifolds of my trucks for years... just don't try to heat up those food cans with lift-off tops... burned corned beef hash stinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.