Pellet Stove replacing Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pc9460

Dec 26, 2013
New England
Looking into a pellet stove to go where a wood stove used to be. Can I reuse the old flue that the wood stove was using before? Can I just connect the pipe to the current opening or should I run a liner? The chimney is located in the middle of my house and I don't know how I would run a fresh air kit without making it look bad.

Some pellet stoves can be connected to existing masonry chimneys some can't. Througohly read the pellet stove manuals before you make your purchase. Just went through this ourselves a couple of months ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcarton
Looking into a pellet stove to go where a wood stove used to be. Can I reuse the old flue that the wood stove was using before? Can I just connect the pipe to the current opening or should I run a liner? The chimney is located in the middle of my house and I don't know how I would run a fresh air kit without making it look bad.
What stove will you be buying? Once we know the stove we can check the manual to see the installation requirements

I replaced my wood stove with a maxx went from 6 inch pipe to a 4 inch to same flue and did not use a insert. Located in my basement heats whole house.

I would caution against stoves from the big box stores. Who are you going to call when you need service?

I was thinking about one of the pellet stoves from home depot. My house is 1650sqf but I haven't decided on one yet. Is over sizing the pellet stove stove bad?

I was thinking this one http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pleasant...-Hopper-and-Auto-Ignition-PH50CABPS/203726438 since I have some gift cards for amazon and they sell it on there.
Stove looks pretty nice will have to check the manual if this is the "one" your getting and see about venting?i think most people oversize a little to ensure it will heat their space I think you will be fine in that btu range as long as your windows doors insulation are good

Over size is not a issue its the brand quality is a must. Need to read what's available on line. That's how I learn. Read what size you want to heat like you said and then how much you want to spend yea I hear you. Money is always the issue. But remember you always get what you paid for. And I not saying Home Depot is not good just research

If your handy a box store stove may be the way to go if you want a warranty tech out at your home to fix issues don't buy from the box stores also look at the maintence schedules. For the stoves you like don't base purchase on looks alone I got my stove because the maintence schedule is so easy I wouldn't even call myself a pellet burner just a stove owner.lol definitely take some time and look at all the stoves available before you make your decision.good luck were here to help.

I see what you guys are saying. I have quite a bit a gift cards for amazon so that may be the one I'm leaving towards. I am pretty handy so I will probably try to install and definitely do the maintenance myself. The only thing I'm lost on is how to connect it to my existing chimney where a wood stove used to be and how to install an outside air kit if necessary. My house isn't air tight as my windows are 40 years old. It's on the list for next summer.

I have my PB105 connected to a 6" stainless liner that passes through a 28 foot tile-lined masony chimney. When I set up the boiler and went through the pot adjustments for the correct max and min draft settings, all worked out fine. I reset those drafts each season with a Magnahelic gauge.

If your using a chimney you can run two liners one for exhaust and one for OAK

I don't have any photos but you would have two flex lines running to the top of the chiney with a termination cap the exhaust should be higher than the intake.not sure exactly how it will look at the stove connection I have an insert but I'm sure someone will get ya some pictures here

Oh and some stoves require an OAK so download the manual before you buy if your thinking of going without an OAK

I have seen some OAK and vents together and the termination caps on different shows, but don't know exactly the company offerings. The last one was last weekend on a This Old House Show.

Status
Not open for further replies.