Pellet stove ROUTINE MAINTENANCE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im going to slowly as time permits post ROUTINE MAINTENANCE tips on here
I will looking for a photo in my 1400 photos on my hard drive and came across this and I chuckled.
Self installer
calls us 2 years after he installed it and was confused on why his stove does not work as well as it did 8 tons ago.
Now this is just the outside of the combustion blower.
The inside was bad.
http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/dustbunnies.jpg

This is not the same stove but the same type of person who did not think that having 2 dogs and a cat in the house would effect the stove
http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/dustbunnies2.jpg

If I didn't just see that with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it. i can see I will be taking some sheet metal off my stove this summer. looking for indications of that type of thing, as i have a pit bull that preempts the area in front of the pellet stove whenever it is running.

However, I have a cold outside air pipe, so i dont see how dog hair could get into the combustion fan circulator, but soot & ash, yes, that could happen.

Good incentive to clean your ash trap regularly.

I think on my model pellet stove, if I remove the 3 inch exhaust pipe, I can touch the conbustion fan squerril cage vanes, recessed in about 3 inchs back, enough to see if a build up is occuring & to do light cleaning.

Anything like your picture means unbolting the whole motor/blower assembly; something I would not look to do unelse left with no other choice.

What would work best to clean out that mess.

I can think of 10 things that might work,
but would rather start with what other people know works best.

eernest4 said:
If I didn't just see that with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it. i can see I will be taking some sheet metal off my stove this summer. looking for indications of that type of thing, as i have a pit bull that preempts the area in front of the pellet stove whenever it is running.

However, I have a cold outside air pipe, so i dont see how dog hair could get into the combustion fan circulator, but soot & ash, yes, that could happen.

Good incentive to clean your ash trap regularly.

I think on my model pellet stove, if I remove the 3 inch exhaust pipe, I can touch the conbustion fan squerril cage vanes, recessed in about 3 inchs back, enough to see if a build up is occuring & to do light cleaning.

Anything like your picture means unbolting the whole motor/blower assembly; something I would not look to do unelse left with no other choice.

What would work best to clean out that mess.

I can think of 10 things that might work,
but would rather start with what other people know works best.

The second photo is the ROOM AIR blower
IT SUCKS air from your home not outside.

As for as combustion blower
I do recommend you pull it every year.
Most new blowers have 6-9 nuts that hold just the motor to the housing and is easy to get off
(look closer at the first photo you will see the nuts around the out side of the motor)

you just have to be carefull with the gasket or have a replacement handy.

also on the first photo the dust around the out side is from house dust also.
Just like behind your refrigerator.

Oh ya
After pulling both the combustion blower and the Convection (room air) blower

you can use
Caned air
Air compressor with a Blow Nozzle
or my favorite
a leaf blower.

Clean the bower wheels and the MOTOR windings out.

Rod's points are excellent. I would add, make sure you are disconnected from all power. And as these are fractional horse power motors, do not use compressed air and let them free spin. Allowing the motors to exceed their normal rpm could permanently damage them. If you use compressed air, make sure it is outside and you are wearing dust protection gear, especially an air filter mask.

dear hearthtools,

First, I want to say that I very much appreciate & highly value you taking the time to tell us these things.

I looked again and yes, It says"room air circulater", right on the picture. WOW! dat is a dirty one.

I hope I am lucky enough to have that mounting plate, where you can remove the screws & pull out the motor & squirll cage as a unit. What a joy that would be.

But with my luck, I probably don't have something so repairman friendly. I will probably have to remove the entire blower housing and take the squirll cage off the motor shaft from one side and the motor off from the other side. I have had to do just that on air conditioners,
many times, & it was always a job I hated.

I will look very carefully at my pellet stove in april. I only had the sheet metal off the back once in sept 07, just to squirt oil at the bronze bushings on all 3 motors, with a pull spout plastic oiler, as the stove was built in july 06.

At ,in the above sentance means , in the general direction of, around, near , on the motor shaft, and generally,all over the outside of, the motors in question, seeing as I had no inclination of taking a tool to the stove, with the hopes that some of the oil would find its way
down the motor shaft,to the bearings.

It would be nice if those motors had oil feed holes, but I didn't see any, with just the sheet metal off the back of the stove and a 12 led flashlight.

So ,I settled for the soak & pray method of motor lub. You soak the motor bearing area with oil and pray that some seeps in to do some good.

On a warm day in april, I will try to do a more thourgh job of it , while checking my squerril cages for dirt build up & my exhaust for rats nests.

One clean out trick I have always liked & used often, is to plug the suction hose of the vac into the vaccum exhaust blow out port & use the pointed crevace tool on the end of the suction hose. This usually gives me a 30 to 40 mph air stream & seems to be easier to do & to work with, that starting up a gasoline powered leaf blower, although an electric leaf blower might not be so bad.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

I was asking in the earlier post what kind of cleaners worked best on the mess in the squerrill
cage rotor, windex, engine degreeser, awesome spray cleaner, laundry degreeser/spot remover, wd 40, keroscene, gasoline, alchol, paint remover, carb cleaner, carbon tetrachloride, percular etholine.

I normally wont use gasoline, keroscine, paint remover,carbon tet or percular eth, because they are dangerious.
They are chemicals of last resort.

I take it that that mess was just removed by pointing some air flow at it.

WAY TOO EASY!!!

I always end up scraping with a wood chistle and dulling out the chistle before I am done.
But I guess one remembers what gives one trouble & forgets the easy fixes.
Just joking about the wood chistle, I only use it to take clinker scum out of the fire pot!!!

I ran Larry's Fixall Applince Repair for 20 years. Washers, dryers, refrig & air cond. Didn't do or have pellet stoves, in the area, back then.1978 to 1998. By 1998 all the appliances I had trained on back in 76 had been changed beyond recoginition by the mfg's & I didn't feel like retraining, too old ,I guess, so I just went out of business.

Anyways, thanks again. Mom's banging on the pipes, wants me to feed her, gotta go & take care of the boss.

GAWD!!!! ya reckon????? mine gets loaded pretty good due to my dachound so i pull it and clean it usually mid season and off season, exhaust blower cooling fan and motor vents i can get easily without dismounting the blower so it gets hit monthly

Status
Not open for further replies.