Pellet stove sales has me surprised

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you know, I thought going into this season that sales would be slow with the price of oil being lower, pellet pricing being higher and God forbid the shortages....oh the shortages, what will we do!?

But it's not. Gosh I may sell more stoves this summer than last and there aren't really any incentives going on either. I'm shocked.

As far as I can tell, a lot of people are selling their homes and want to put a new one in at the new place, or want to upgrade, or it's simply just getting on in age.

Don't get me wrong, not complaining, just surprised. It's been 8 years since the "great pellet madness". Eventually those stove have to come up for replacement. Anyone else experiencing a healthy start to the season?

Reactions: Augmister
Lot of used ones locally most of them don't know about Deprecation, but occasionally I pick up a bargain.
Called on one yesterday installed 10 yrs ago ONLY wanted 2,400 for it!
Called on another one he said it doesn't work come and look at it I Offered $25 for it he said be reasonable the lowest I can go is $50. So that's the pricing report locally.

Lot of used ones locally most of them don't know about Deprecation, but occasionally I pick up a bargain.
Called on one yesterday installed 10 yrs ago ONLY wanted 2,400 for it!
Called on another one he said it doesn't work come and look at it I Offered $25 for it he said be reasonable the lowest I can go is $50. So that's the pricing report locally.
I know right? Used to be able to hunt down a pretty good unit for cheap, still find them now and again but the days of seeing Harmans for less than a used car seem to be over. Occasionally I see a used Englander for $1300 firm and not part of the deal but available if we want them, 20 bags of Infernos $7 each. Ya baby!

I burn mostly Corn, For the last couple of years it's been approx $100 a ton it's a little more work than Pellets that already bagged. A few years ago corn was 300 plus a ton so we try to stay multi fuel.

We aren't really in the pellet stove business although I worked in Commercial Refrigeration for 16 years and then did Residential HVAC in my own shop for the next 26 years. Of all the different sources of heat I like pellets the best, Not much work, A fire to watch, and constant steady heat Even if it cost more than any other fuel I'd more than likely still burn a pellet stove.

Of all the different sources of heat I like pellets the best, Not much work, A fire to watch, and constant steady heat Even if it cost more than any other fuel I'd more than likely still burn a pellet stove.

X2, it is the best heat and can be installed almost anywhere! Pellet Stoves are here to stay and always need parts and service. :)

I was convinced that I was going to be able to get a dirt cheap second stove this year, but that is certainly not the case.

The benefits of a pellet or wood stove can also be marketed to potential customers for things other than cost, ie: comfort, "greener" than oil, zone heating and so on. So I guess price of fuel isn't the only factor as sales are still strong.

I don't see myself ever returning to a central heating system as I enjoy pellets and wood no matter what the cost.

Reactions: Augmister
I suspect that the manufactures will eventually put the pellet bin on the bottom, It's getting harder for us to fill the bin I'm approaching middle age (70's) and lifting a bag on top of a hot stove isn't fun anymore.

A lot of stoves sit on a pedestal, If the bin was on the bottom I would think it would be easier to Fill,Less chance of a bin fire and it would get the fire away from combustible flooring, It would put the Fire Box up higher for easier cleaning and put the Ambiance at eye level. Just my 2 cents worth. When you reach middle age you tend to want to make life easier and U have more time to enjoy the fire.

Some are interested in how much it cost to heat some are more comfort oriented so one type of heat doesn't fit all applications.

Glad to see Scott's business thriving! Yes, there is something about a cold winter night and the glow of a fire in the home.

I suspect that the manufactures will eventually put the pellet bin on the bottom, It's getting harder for us to fill the bin I'm approaching middle age (70's) and lifting a bag on top of a hot stove isn't fun anymore.

A lot of stoves sit on a pedestal, If the bin was on the bottom I would think it would be easier to Fill,Less chance of a bin fire and it would get the fire away from combustible flooring, It would put the Fire Box up higher for easier cleaning and put the Ambiance at eye level. Just my 2 cents worth. When you reach middle age you tend to want to make life easier and U have more time to enjoy the fire.

Some are interested in how much it cost to heat some are more comfort oriented so one type of heat doesn't fit all applications.

Pellets at the bottom wouldn't be a bad thing. The only thing I wonder is where the ash would go, especially for those of us that get a stove with a huge ash drawer so we don't have to be constantly emptying the darn thing. I'm sure there would be a way to do it, just I'm not smart enough to think it thru.

you know, I thought going into this season that sales would be slow with the price of oil being lower, pellet pricing being higher and God forbid the shortages....oh the shortages, what will we do!?

But it's not. Gosh I may sell more stoves this summer than last and there aren't really any incentives going on either. I'm shocked.

As far as I can tell, a lot of people are selling their homes and want to put a new one in at the new place, or want to upgrade, or it's simply just getting on in age.

Don't get me wrong, not complaining, just surprised. It's been 8 years since the "great pellet madness". Eventually those stove have to come up for replacement. Anyone else experiencing a healthy start to the season?

Oil is lower overall this year, but so far in 2015 it's really been an up-and-down so I'm not sure where oil prices will end up, we'll need more trending to be sure just how much. Still, here in northern CT with my pellet stove versus full-on oil heating, I'll be paying less for better heat. Pellet stoves are still worthy, desired and viable even if they aren't the "steal" they were at one time.

Pellets at the bottom wouldn't be a bad thing. The only thing I wonder is where the ash would go, especially for those of us that get a stove with a huge ash drawer so we don't have to be constantly emptying the darn thing. I'm sure there would be a way to do it, just I'm not smart enough to think it thru.

Just take the pellet bin off the top and put it under the ash bin,, So from the floor up you have Pellet bin sitting on the floor, Ash bin setting on top of the pellets, firebox on top.
Easier to put in pellets if you don't have to lift them, gets the fire up to eye level and easier to clean firebox etc. You have an auger in most stoves so just make it lift them a bit higher.

Instead, household robots will do the job for you. Those of us who are older won't be able to figure out how to program Rosie to check the hopper herself, so you'll have to manually (verbally) remind her each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.