Pellet stove smokes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcwilliams

Aug 20, 2016
ohio
When I turn my pellet stove off it smokes from the ash bucket at the bottom and the front door. It's like the smoke isn't naturally going outside when the exhaust blower stops.
I have a ussc 6041

Any suggestions ?
Thanks
James

I do not know your stove but most stoves exhaust are powered. When you shut down your stove do the blowers stop?

They don't stop right away. I think once it gets down to a certain temperature they all stop. That's when it starts to build up smoke in side then it comes out where ever it can at that point.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

How long after the fire goes out does the exhaust blower typically run. any hot ash should be exhausted by time the blower shutsdown.

I haven't timed it but I'd say the blowers run for Bout 20 mins after I hit the off button.
I only turned it off because I can't seem to get the stove to not put out so much heat. It's heating my house up too hot on the lowest setting. So i thought I'd just turn it off...I think this thing may be too big for my house lol
But yea regardless i don't think it should smoke that bad to where it comes out the doors.

Last edited:
Is the stove new? Sounds like you have a leak somewhere to me. My experience with my stove is only 3 weeks but I've never shut it down and had ANYTHING smoke afterwards. I'd say you have unburned smoldering pellets, probably caused because you have the stove shut down so much, and a leak.

Reactions: jcwilliams
No stove isn't new. It's and older stove 2010 model I think. Bought it second hand from the only other owner. It was packed full of ash. Needed a few parts and gaskets and a very good cleaning. The only gasket I didn't replace is the door gasket. I could try replacing that.

That was my guess, used stove needing a door gasket. I would clean it good before running it any more, something is making it smoke and you should find it.

Have somebody that knows your stove service it. There should not be any smoke/burning remnants left when the blower shuts off.

The whole point of the exhaust blower continuing to run after shut down is to burn up all fuel remaining after the fuel feed stops. There should be no smoke left at the time the exhaust blower stops.

It would be good to know some more details like is there any smoke outside at the outlet when it is running and is the burn chamber black and sooty or just grey and dusty after you shut it down?

Start with a good cleaning of all exhaust passages including the exhaust blower. Install new door gaskets. Is the outside air hooked up? What is the configuration of the exhaust venting?

You helped me in another thread with the piping layout I do believe. I have one extra 90 than I'm suppose to have in my piping.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.