Pellet stove smoking and smells bad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isuzustorm

Nov 28, 2016
Canada
Hi. Looking for help with a harman invincible pellet stove. Been running it for 3 years. This year i am trying a different pellet and was fine for the last month. Recently it started smoking really bad (outside) and smells of plastic. Cleaned several times - all passage ways and tubes, fans and pot. Still smoking bad. If i mix in some of my old pellets - different name - tends to get better. Is it the pellets or am i doing something wrong? Any advice is appreciated.

Most likely the pellets. Try completely changing out to your old pellets (instead of mixing). If your issues go away, then that is your answer. If it is the pellets, I would contact your dealer and/or mfg and complain. You might get your money back or some other recompense.

As bogieb mentions, clean out the hopper and put in the pellets you used to run and see what happens. Sounds to me like the new pellets may have a chemical binder added, and someone that failed math put pounds of it in the mix instead of ounces.

Reactions: Lake Girl
What brand of pellets creating the stink? What are the raw materials used? I know the Indeck pellets smelled swampy the last time I used them and the Spruce Pointes definitely smell of pine...

Status
Not open for further replies.