Pellet Stove still has a smoke smell!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backhoe1

Oct 18, 2009
Southern Maryland
I just purchased an Englander Summers Heat 55-SHP10 pellet stove. I cannot operate the stove without a smoke smell. I have sealed every seam with both silicon and aluminum tape. I have pressurized the stove to find the leak. The fan shaft does not have a seal and the stove seem to be leaking there. The exhaust pipe runs out of the back with a 45 degree angle up + 3 feet to a 90 degree angle and out. Does anyone know of a fix besides throwing the stove away?
Thanks!

I went throught the same thing last season (new stove) and first few start ups this season. For the most part I just noticed it in the first 30 min. after start up, then it disappeared. as long as you can't see the smoke inside, I think it's just how it is.

Backhoe1 said:
I just purchased an Englander Summers Heat 55-SHP10 pellet stove. I cannot operate the stove without a smoke smell. I have sealed every seam with both silicon and aluminum tape. I have pressurized the stove to find the leak. The fan shaft does not have a seal and the stove seem to be leaking there.......

No, don't throw the stove away backhoe, Why not shoot an email off to Mike Holton ([email protected]) and ask him his thoughts, or call the 800 number tomorrow and talk w/ one of Mike's tech guys.

Most new stoves will have a "smell" until all the paint and oils burn off...

krooser said:
Yep, get a good hot fire in it with the combustion air vent open fully and let it heat up for a couple hours. Like seasoning a new cast iron skillet.

edit....accidental double post

krooser said:
Yep, I agree 100%....I thought the OP was referring to a wood smoke smell only.

macman said:
krooser said:
Yep, I agree 100%....I thought the OP was referring to a wood smoke smell only.
You're probably right...

This season my Enviro has had a smoke smell also all the time,if you get down in front of the outlet tubes in front it will burn your eyes from smoke,but can,t see it,we went away for 3 days,left stove off,now no more smoke,very weird how it came/went by not running it..Enviro EF3

Status
Not open for further replies.