Pellet Stove Tee

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ylomnstr

Feeling the Heat
May 28, 2008
Staatsburg, NY
So I recently installed my pellet stove and upon firing it up the past few nights, i saw a decent amount of smoke blowing out the bottom of the tee. Not knowing any better, I used some high heat silicone and aluminum tape to seal the bottom of it better, but now I'm realizing that the bottom of the tee is used for cleanout. Now that I've done that, am I going to have a problem with the cleaning? Also, my tee had to go on a 45 degree angle in order for the pipe to line up right. The dealer said thats fine that way. Is this going to be a problem?

Although my tee is not on a 45, I just disconnect it from the stove. I stuck a piece of garden hose in the hose of my shop vac and then a more flexible piece of tubing about half inch in diameter to reach down into tee. I also use this for cleaning parts inside stove including the combustion blower.

ylomnstr said:
Also, my tee had to go on a 45 degree angle in order for the pipe to line up right. The dealer said thats fine that way. Is this going to be a problem?

I hope not....I'm doing the same thing w/ my stove. Stove pipe dealer didn't seem to have a problem w/ that set-up.

Won't be a problem at all. In addition you can usually clean the tee out fairly well when the combustion blower is pulled. Sometimes taking off the tee cap is necessary but not always.

just for future reference, the HT silicone will be really hard to get apart if you need to take the cap back off, hopefully you can get in another way. What I do with the tee caps when they smoke a bit is just take the cap out and lay in another ring of 3/8 or smaller stove gasket on top of the original gasket that is supposed to seal the cap. Its hard to turn the cap the first few times, but you will always be able to get it apart that way

Status
Not open for further replies.