Pellet Stove Troubles - No Low Setting??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thephotohound

Apr 19, 2007
Central Massachusetts
I have an Enviro EF2 FS. This model includes the "Dial-a-Fire" feature, which is simply an auger feed rate knob. I am burning NE Softwood (Canadian) Premium pellets. My air intake setting is approximately 75% closed, which is still enough to create a strong, active flame with no orange tips.

Here's my problem: Unless my setting is at 12:00 (roughly half way) or higher, the fire practically goes out. All of the pellets in the burnpot are fully burned. I have tried damping down even more (thinking that the pellets are burning too fast) but then I have a tall, lazy flame with orange tips. I have played with this setting for days, and I believe I have my air setting at the right level.

The only thing that I'm seeing that might be the issue is as I watch the pellets come down from the hopper, the feed is very uneven. At a setting around 10:00 (approx. 30% auger speed) I will get dust on 1-2 auger turns, then 4 pellets at once... dust, dust, dust, 3-4 pellets. I believe this is due to the pellets - a lot of them are really long - like 1 1/2 inches! In my experience with other pellets, this is approx 2x as long as others. I almost think the auger is having to break the pellets before they feed into the burnpot, thus creating a much slower feed rate.

Is this a common issue? Just turn the knob up? Any ideas??

If you can't find that air adjustment spot that allows the fire to keep going then yes, you'll have to turn the feed rate up to compensate.

What brand of pellets? Pick up a few bags of premium pellets and give them a try. One where the pellet length is 1/2 to 3/4".

They are New England Premium Softwood (Canadian). I would say about 50% are under an inch, and about 50% are over an inch (some as long at 1 1/2 inches!). I have been battling to find that sweet spot, and believe I have indeed found it. However, I am still getting a lot of "sawdust" accumulation on the window, as well as the firebox walls, I assume from the aforementioned "cutting" of the pellets by the auger. My new "low" setting is 12:00 (enough to keep 1000 SF at 62 degrees). Also, I have to clean it approx. 1x/day on 24x7 burning. The glass also gets black after about 2 days. Is this normal?

One thing I'm very pleased with is the amount of ash - almost nothing in the burnpot after 3 days!

This is part of my preference for a good self-starting unit on a proper thermostat that is designed to cycle. I don't like having to maintain a continuous low burn. It would drive me nuts to have to clean a stove daily. Half or quarter bag days were no different than full bag days as far as cleaning our stove went. The stove just started more frequently and ran longer per cycle when it was cold outside.

Craig - We can burn as little as 1/2 bag in 24 hrs, but the glass gets dirty much faster. 1 bag in 24 hrs, and the glass stays nice and clean.

BG - That sounds like a great stove. What kind is it? When this one dies, I'll be in the market... I just can't justify getting rid of it (free!)

It was a Quadrafire 1200i, but these features are not unique to this model or brand.

ThePhotoHound said:
Craig - We can burn as little as 1/2 bag in 24 hrs, but the glass gets dirty much faster. 1 bag in 24 hrs, and the glass stays nice and clean.

BG - That sounds like a great stove. What kind is it? When this one dies, I'll be in the market... I just can't justify getting rid of it (free!)

Think this might say something about the low range. If you are getting dirty glass and your damper is shut to 90% your efficiency is way down. Give it some air!!!!! My stove feeds irregularly at low setting, but I think that has to do with the fact the auger has a high and low side when it turns. The short time for the "run " cycle only allows for a partial turn of the screw. It may take three or four cycles to complete a revolution. Thus a few no feeds. It does have an up and down effect on the flame, but the dropped pellets are not fully consumed before the next delivery.

Had an Enviro but can't remember the model - however it sounds like the same set up for feed etc. It was a direct vent with an OAK. Used it for 5 years and it met the need. I used Bear Mt and Goldenfire pellets. Had it professionally cleaned every summer. The first 4 years I was able to keep the feed rate quite low and still maintain an overnight burn. Kept the dial in the red zone(heat) on coldest days. The final year was more like your situation with rate at noon or higher to keep it from going out. Also wasn't getting as much heat output as in previous years. We always cleaned the pot - and the glass every few days. Gave our pot a very thorough cleaning around Jan. and it made a huge difference. I'm almost envious that you can go days with very little ash.

Well, my problem is fixed. The stove is running beatifully now. I now maintain a bright yellow flame, no "sawdust", and no dirty glass. The knob at 12:00 provides enough heat to keep the entire floor (1000 SF) at 62 degrees and uses just over 1/2 bag per 24 hrs. This awesome change is due to one of two things:

1. I opened a new bag of pellets.
2. I took out the burnpot, cleaned it, and TURNED IT AROUND.

Hmmmmmmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.