Pellet stove vent for portable AC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4dimad

Jul 4, 2008
MA
Hello, can I use the pellet stove's vent in a wall for attaching an exhaust hose from portable AC? Thanks!

I see no reason why not
But then again I no nothing about portable A/C

Hello, can I use the pellet stove's vent in a wall for attaching an exhaust hose from portable AC? Thanks!
You could but that exhaust is going to be saturated with moisture. I don't know if that much moisture at a cool temp would react with the pipe that is made for exhausting hot gases.

Reactions: Lake Girl
If you pulled the vent pipe and just used the thimble for an exit for the line, that would be a better option. Depending on your vent set-up, it might be more work than it is worth.

I have been doing this for years. Works great. I take out the vent pipe and thimble and store it in the garage. I have another thimble with the AC vent that gets put in the hole for the summer.

There is a slight problem with the setup. you lose the ability to throw the stove on for 20 minutes on the occasional chilly morning. If you dont have backup heat this could be an issue. i usually dont do this until july for that reason. if i need the portable ac i'll vent it up the fireplace chimney which also does a decent job. (my fireplace chimney is clean since we dont use it)

The other nifty trick is since these portable AC units sometimes fill themselves with water and shut off, you can hook up a hose as a drain. you can route that hose through the oak nicely, as long as the ac is raised higher than the oak level.

Status
Not open for further replies.