Pellet Stove Vent Pipe ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete97

Aug 29, 2006
Pittsburgh Pa
Looking at getting a Englander Pellet Stove or a Summers Heat Pellet Stove ( I know they are the same). My ? is about venting it to the outside. It will be installed in my basement to help keep it warm when we are down there. Some day it will be a finished basement but that is another project. I used to have the furnace vented through metal pipe that ran up through a chase in the house. I now have a High Efficiency furnace that is vented through PVC. The hot water tank still vents through the metal stack. Can I vent the Pellet Stove into this same stack? Pete

pete97 said:
Looking at getting a Englander Pellet Stove or a Summers Heat Pellet Stove ( I know they are the same). My ? is about venting it to the outside. It will be installed in my basement to help keep it warm when we are down there. Some day it will be a finished basement but that is another project. I used to have the furnace vented through metal pipe that ran up through a chase in the house. I now have a High Efficiency furnace that is vented through PVC. The hot water tank still vents through the metal stack. Can I vent the Pellet Stove into this same stack? Pete

What is the metal pipe? B-vent or actual chimney. Somewhere on the pipe should be a tag.

Eric

It is Type B and is says it is UL Listed. Pete

B vent can not be used for a pellet stove. You need P or L vent. Now you can run the p or l vent inside the b vent.

Eric

Ok thanks. The pipe is used by the Hot water tank so I guess I will have to run new stuff !!!!

Pete, just be advised that heating an un-insulated basement is a tough chore....the concrete walls & floor suck all the heat up. Do a search on this forum under "heating uninsulated basement"...should be lots of info about it.

Thanks for the info. Might just put a gas wall heater in then. Alot cheaper but have to pay for gas though !!!!!

Pete, just be advised that heating an un-insulated basement is a tough chore….the concrete walls & floor suck all the heat up. Do a search on this forum under “heating uninsulated basementâ€...should be lots of info about it.

It's very true. I've been doing it for 6 years with my pellet stove in the basement. I end up melting some snow around the basement but I try to catch as much heat as possible with 4" dryer vent up to floor registers to the first floor. Haven't quite tweaked this method in but still working on it and even if I do get as much heat as possible to the upstairs their will always be significant heat loss to concrete but we do like having cozy floors, almost like I installed radiant heat on the first floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.