Pellet Stove Venting Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madeagle

Mar 2, 2006
A fire stop spacer was installed at the first floor ceiling. Vent comes through the flooring of the 2nd floor near the corner of the house. Sheet metal was installed around the flue where the floor was removed. The joist run is completely open. No blocking installed. The wall is open except for the baseboard covering it. No blocking. Is this acceptable? This is a ballon frame house. ( And, by the way, 2 of the 2x10 joists are missing 10 inches--cut out by the installer) Another Duravent firestop spacer is at the ceiling of the 2nd floor. The flue then travels into the attic exiting the roof.

No attic insulation shield installed. No sealant around the edges of the fire stop spacers so air leaks are present. the vent pipe penatrating the roof clears the rafter tie by 2 inches. According to the Duravent manual I downloaded, a minimum of 3 inches is required.

Comments??

Am, I reading your post correctly? Floor joist were cut out? What did your building inspector say about that?
Cutting out structual members requires permitting? There was a building permit and stove permit pulled right?
Here is the best advice you will get. Go down to your local building dept and pull a permit. Call your installer and
tell what you are going to do and mention the installers cut out the floor joist. At this point you now have the retailer
or installer balls in a vise and are threatening to close it. He made an install without being permitted and cut structual members.
If you are unhappy with your stove and want your money back or want out with this retailer or installer, leverage your position now.
Your will not have better leverage than now. The more you disclose, the evidence appears you have a crappy installation( the nicesest way I can describe it) The reason you posted here is, unsatisfactory installation and stove preformance. Your choice is to allow the same people to rectify a botched installation to correct it or void the deal. If you allow them to correct. it you will be giving up your barganing position and be reduced to their correction efforts. The decision is yours good luck

TAKE PICTURES for the legal eagle who will be prosecuting your installer. Take lots of pictures. photocopy all receipts. Print out all emails. Keep copies of phone records to prove phone calls. Find and copy all correspondence. Copy his yellow pages ad. Call the Better Business Bureau. Find out if he is a licensed/insured anything! (Don't ask him, ask the town) Get copies of his advertisements, if any. If he's got fliers, get them. If you got a recommendation for him, go back and ask if their experience was similar to yours. They may not know enough to know the danger he put them in. Inform them. Get them angry. Get them VERY angry. (Note: if they pick up a shotgun, calm them down. You want them suing, not shooting.)

Oh, and Take some pictures. If I didn't say that already.

Good luck.

Joshua

JUST FOR FYI
DURAVENT PELLET VENThas a new listing of the same pipe
1"
they retested it to keep up with all the other brands that are 1" clearance

they pipe has not changed they just have a rateing for USA PELLET VENT
http://www.duravent.com/docs/instruct/L502_aug05.pdf
Page 3
1. WARNING: When passing through ceilings and walls, make sure all combustible
materials and building insulation products are a minimum of 1" from the vent pipe
(minimum of 3" in Canad a when used on pellet- or corn-burning appliances).

I saw that too, i was hessitant to mention it because if he gets it inspected he will fail due to his current install regs being 3".

Status
Not open for further replies.