Pellet Stove Venting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running my BigE to the existing 6" pipe that my wood stove used to be vented with. Right now I have a 3" tee to 3" straight to a 3"/6" adapter which is typeL vent pipe to connect to the existing stove pipe. Would it benefit my pellet stove if I where to run 4" all the way up and out the roof? which would be a 20' to 25' straight run up.. Just wondered if I would see any benefits..

Should make cleaning the stove easier. I ran our pellet stove pipe up all the way through the stove pipe liner. Otherwise you are going to get a large accumulation of ash that is going to have no where to go but back down the pellet pipe as it accumulates on the 6 x 3 transition.

BeGreen said:
Should make cleaning the stove easier. I ran our pellet stove pipe up all the way through the stove pipe liner. Otherwise you are going to get a large accumulation of ash that is going to have no where to go but back down the pellet pipe as it accumulates on the 6 x 3 transition.

BeGeen is right on
we do the adapter all the time and have 100's of stoves installed that way because people are cheep but it is a sticky place for ash to collect. you have to make sure you clean the 6" pipe and the 3" pipe and Visually check to make sure no ash is bridged up at the adapter every year.
I wish they made a tapered adapter.

If you dont mind spending the extra cash for the extra pipe it is always best to run 4" all the way up
be sure to used a 3166 T clean out. this is a T with a 3 inch branch to the stove that is 4" vent up.

Thanks guys for the info. Yes I notice I get alot of accumulation on the 3 to 6 inch adapter. I do have a 3" inch tee with clean out which is a must. Yea i was planning on running it through the existing 6"vent piping. Heres a adapter that looks tapered I just ordered one of there 3" horizontal caps. I notice that there stuff is alot cheaper than duravent not to sure what there quality is.

I was told to follow the manufactures recommendations. I'm not sure if they specify 3 inch or 4 inch liner, I would think it wouldn't matter and like you say the 4 inch would be better for all the reasons you have stated. The thing is if the inspector is looking for the stove to be installed as the manufacturer specifies then that is the way I'm going to install it.

Is there a big cost difference between 3 and 4 inch liner?

I do have a 3" inch tee with clean out which is a must.
What I was saying if you change your Pipe to 4" use the 3166 3x4 T cleanout and not the 3-4 reducers.

Yea i was planning on running it through the existing 6"vent piping. Heres a adapter that looks tapered
Where is a tapered adapt?

I just ordered one of there 3" horizontal caps.
I hope you did not order a horizontal cap? unless you are planing on doing a direct vent.
You need a vertical cap

I notice that there stuff is alot cheaper than duravent not to sure what there quality is.
Most pellet pipe is in the same price range. but Duravent has a 25 year warantee.
make sure you are not looking at B vent

hotfire22 said:
I was told to follow the manufactures recommendations. I'm not sure if they specify 3 inch or 4 inch liner, I would think it wouldn't matter and like you say the 4 inch would be better for all the reasons you have stated. The thing is if the inspector is looking for the stove to be installed as the manufacturer specifies then that is the way I'm going to install it.

I think you posted in the wrong thread
we are talking about free stand installation here.

hotfire22 said:

Cost doesn't matter in this case. Vertical runs over 15' require the use of 4" PL pellet vent.

You don't need to use rigid pipe as the liner. I can be stainless flex. Is that the product you're referring to?

zeta said:
hotfire22 said:

Cost doesn't matter in this case. Vertical runs over 15' require the use of 4" PL pellet vent.

Where does this come from? I just checked two different Quad manuals and according to the tables in both if you have a straight up vent all vertical you could go about 50' before needing to use 4".

Hotfire, good questions. Moved your questions to the thread you started so that they stay separate. I'll catch you there.

jtp10181 said:
zeta said:
hotfire22 said:

Where does this come from? I just checked two different Quad manuals and according
to the tables in both if you have a straight up vent all vertical you could go about 50' before needing to use 4".

Comes from my st croix prescott installation manual.
Didn't mean to post bad information.
Not a good assumption on my part to have
assumed that was a standard requirement for PL
vent installs. Sorry bout that.

Seems to me that a pellet stove is a pellet stove,
so I find it strange that there can be such a huge difference
in requirements for a vertical installation.

Required or not, I'd use the 4" if I were installing a vertical run
like smith10210 is contemplating. :)

I have never seen a pellet stove that did not say use 4" for over 15 feet
And you have to account for 90 deg that Add 5 feet to your run calculation after the first 90 or T

If I remember right, our Quad 1200i had a chart for when to change to 4". It is a linear graph with flue length decreasing with altitude. I'll have to look it up, but I think it switched to 4" at sea level at something like 25'. FWIW, our stack was 21' on 3" and it worked great. No issues at all. But that was a direct connect, no elbows involved.

Here's the chart for the Mt. Vernon.

Attachments

• mtvernon_pipe.jpg
    mtvernon_pipe.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 593
Also there is a table that goes with the chart, 1ft of vertical = 0.5ft equivalent feet. That's where I got the 50' thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.