Q&A Pellet stove venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

As I am replacing my wood burning stove with a pellet stove can I just vent the pellet stove directly into the existing masonry chimney?The chimney is in excellent condition.Is it necessary to install a 4'' liner in the chimney and if so does it have to be stainless steel or would a single wall stove pipe be ok.I am going to put a tee with a clean out on the back of the stove .I have been told different ways by dealers how to properly vent the pellet stove.Would appreciate all the information you can help me with.Thank you very much for your time.

Answer:

You'd have to line it with either a single wall stainless steel pipe or the pellet vent pipe. The reason you need to line it is because the smoke will get too cool and probably condense water in the chimney if it is not lined.

If you used regular stovepipe it might rot out in as little as 1-2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.