Pellet stove whining like a baby

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seagull

Nov 12, 2012
Western Slope of Colorado
I recently bought this old dinosaur 25-pfs englander, cleaned it thoroughly installed it, it is working fine, but...as the weather has gotten colder, turning it up to about 9 O'clock (the way the dial goes,) it has begun to whine, and squeal every few minutes....not necessarily at the same time.
Any ideas, suggestions to resolve this would be greatly appreciated

Hello

I have worked on a 25-PFS, it is quite a machine. First we need to know what part is doing the squealing? Can you take the back off and look in with a flash light to see where the squeal is coming from? If it one of the 2 room blowers, they can easily be replaced. I recently replaced the draft blower, but had to drill holes to get the inlet air tube on the new one.

Reactions: Seagull
Hello

I have worked on a 25-PFS, it is quite a machine. First we need to know what part is doing the squealing? Can you take the back off and look in with a flash light to see where the squeal is coming from? If it one of the 2 room blowers, they can easily be replaced. I recently replaced the draft blower, but had to drill holes to get the inlet air tube on the new one.

Thanks for the quick response Don2222
I recall a couple of your posts, when you were working on this same stove...:)

I have just cleaned and restarted the stove. While doing so I noticed a ridge just along the edge of the port that drops the pellets into the firepot, turned out to be creosote, which I chipped away, also some from the tip of the auger. I am hoping that this was hanging the auger up, if the sounds return, I will try your advice.

Thanks for the quick response Don2222
I recall a couple of your posts, when you were working on this same stove...:)

I have just cleaned and restarted the stove. While doing so I noticed a ridge just along the edge of the port that drops the pellets into the firepot, turned out to be creosote, which I chipped away, also some from the tip of the auger. I am hoping that this was hanging the auger up, if the sounds return, I will try your advice.

If you put a wire wheel on your drill/driver, that will get all of the carbon off the auger and chute.

Status
Not open for further replies.