Pellet stove with small footprint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltown

Minister of Fire
Oct 1, 2008
Western Maine
I have been pouring over the forum reading as much as I could and would like to post my first question to the "Gallery"

I have been looking for a small footprint wood-pellet stove to place in the corner of a room. Two that have risen o the top are the Harmon Advance and the Enviro Evolution. The Harmon about $3400 and the Evolution about $2850. Not knowing much about pellet stoves and listening to people spin my head around with I prefer this or that burning pot I thought I would ask about them on this forum.

I understand that the two differ in that the Harmon is a bottom feeder (wonder about hopper fires although I haven't seen anybody report any problems). I asked about the Evolution pot and was told the newer versions are fabricated from stainless steel and should hold up well.

I don't quite understand how the add on thermostat option is controlling the Evolution other than just of and on verses the built in thermostat control on the Harmon that appears to regulate the Advance much more.
Is one burn pot better than another? I noticed a friends Napoleon had what appeared to be a circular cast iron pot, but most stoves seem to have a rectangular pot.

I searched the prior posts but could not find any "recent" comments good or bad about the Evolution. I probably will not buy this year as it seems that some stoves are hard to find and pellets are quickly approaching $300 a ton in my area. Nevertheless I am trying to inform myself and hopefully with your help recognize a good buy when it shows itself. I also am considering that rather than venting the stove horizontally I might install about 5' of pipe inside my home so in the future if I changed stoves I would not need to cut another hole in the side of my home as the exhaust heights on the stoves seem to be all over the place..

Appreciate any comments or recommendations on similar stoves that I might have overlooked.

St croix Lancaster you will need to swap out the burn pot as its a corn stove but the place i bought from did that for free. check St croix website.
its not even 2' wide I'm placing mine in a corner as well.

lancaster_sets_group_large.jpg

Thanks slink, but I think the Accentra has to small out on output. I wanted something in the 40K range. If I remember the Advance and the Evolution are about 45-48K.

Thanks KDP7462 I know somebody that has a Theliner and loves it, but your right it has to be your style.

Thanks Sidewinder I'll take a peek at the St Croix or should I say "Merci"!

It's odd I thought by now somebody would post that they had experience using the Evolution and liked or disliked it. I am surprised at how many stoves there are when I enter the stove shops only to find they are almost all wood stoves and just a couple of pellet stoves and these are simply display models.

I have been reading that Harmon was bought out and wonder if the quality will suffer. I would have thought that pelet stove manufacturers would be making money hand over fist during these times. One stove shop hinted that because for example auger motors are in short supply companies are settling for lessser quality parts to get stoves out the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.